What could this be?

sturner

Problem: small brown spots on two clowns
(will try to post a pic later)
-looks like individual scales are turning brown. On both fish, showed up all at once. all over body, around 10-15 per fish.
-hasn't affected behavior or appetite
-hasn't affected other fish (royal gramma, LMB, Pink/blue spotted goby, two green damsels)
First Clown has been in tank since May. Second clown is a recent addition (almost three weeks)
Tank size: 29g reef in progress (soft corals) snails, hermits, sally lightfoot, emerald crabs, running carbon in HOB filter and protein skimmer.
Lights: T-5s - Nova
Changes in aquarium:
started supplementing the spirulina flake food with ocean nutrition pellets (the fish are crazy nuts over this stuff!)
started using Kent Coral Vite (only used one dose so far)
two recent back to back deaths last week (pulled two other recent green damsels off of the powerhead filter. One I got out before it died (but died in quarintine, the other I was too late, but it had not decayed any. There was no sign of sickness or damage on either, both happened overnight so I think the PH got them while they were sleeping)
Won't be able to get todays readings until tonight.
Please give me some ideas and things I might need to look out for.

jonthefishguy

it is known that clowns that are in tanks with zoo's tend toget brown spots(patches) on parts of their body. They live healthy but just get burned a bit by the zoo's. Dont worry about it unless it looks like black ick. If it looks like they birth marks/beauty marks, then it is caused by the stinging from the zoo's or something else

renogaw

if it looks like those posted, then you need to read up the post at the top of the disease forum. i believe you have to do a formalin dip.

sturner

okay, if indeed it is black ick, and I go home tonight and do a FW dip, the black spots should fall off right? Will that be enough treatment for it? Should I also dip the fish that don't show any signs?

sturner

just wanted to bump since I've only got 30 more minutes of internet today... (then I get to go home!)

sturner

Okay - so I did the FW dip for 5 minutes on the new clown, no noticealbe change, nothing fell off him. Then after stressing the other out by trying to catch him, I tried the FW dip on him, buy I didn't leave him in for the 5 minutes because he was acting like he was about to die. He curled all up, laid upside down. That was heartbreaking! I got him out immediately and back in the tank they went. I will be buying another 10g this weekend and set it up as the hospital tank using water from the display tank and get something else to treat them, maybe do hypo. Their appetite is still not affected at all! They're little pigs!

renogaw

you're treating black ich as if it is normal ich.
freshwater dip is not for black ich, a formalin dip is.