What crab/snail is best for Hair Algea???

reef46

I have been battling hair algea (green and red) for a long time now. I have come to the conclusion that my clean up crew is not to it's full potential. What is the best species for taking care of my little mess?

mcbdz

First you have to find the cause of you increased nutrients, after taking care of most of the cause, you have to hand pull and remove as much as you can buy hand then your hermits, emerals and turbos will help with the new growth. My foxface did the best job though.

scrapman

Originally Posted by reef46
I have been battling hair algea (green and red) for a long time now. I have come to the conclusion that my clean up crew is not to it's full potential. What is the best species for taking care of my little mess?

Don't kid yourself or believe everything you read.... the so called cleaning crew is doing a minimal job at best..... if you really want a sparkling clean DT, nothing beats elbow grease: scrapper, tooth brush, turkey baster, detritus hand picking, good filtration, adequat flow and regular water changes.
It's hard work but the visual reward is fantastic!!!
Good luck

reef46

I used to have a lmb and only ate flake food...so after alittle time in the tank, physically removing most of the algea, hermits would be the best bet?

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by reef46
Also get rid of some of those nutrients,, starve it... Up clean-up crew.. any room for a fuge with some chaeto in the future? That will totally soak up any overabundance of nutrients.. you will see a big difference..

reef46

I have an oversized fuge that I just setup about 1 month ago with my 46 bow (located in my closet). Last night I harvested a solo cup fulll of hair algea and I'll do some more tonight. I will be getting about 30 hermit and 10 turbos to add to my system. I think with a couple more water changed my endless hours in the tank manually pulling hair and my new additions. I sould be good to go.

bs21

i have blueleg hermits and astrea snails that tore through hair algea that came on a shroom rock. Still if it is a constant problem then there is probably another cause like excesive nutrients, using tap water etc.. that you will want to change otherwise it will be a constant battle.
also are you sure its hair algea b/c i have seen cyano that looks like short hair algea?