what did i get with my new mushrooms?

jacrmill

I recently upgraded my lighting and decided to try my first coral. I started with some purple mushrooms that seem to be doing well, but thats not really my point. The rock they came on had these things attached. I tried to figure out what they were, but its really tough to tell based on some different pictures I looked at. Let me know what you guys think....(this is the first time i have uploaded pictures to this site, so hopefully it looks ok).

jacrmill

so you think it is a type of coral that was still on the rock? sorry like I said, I am new to this reef thing.

teresaq

The first looks like a coral, not sure what though. looks like something was fragged off, and its regrowing.
the second looks like sponges

the third, need a better picture if posible.
T

yosemite sam

Yeah,the first one looks like a ricordia. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at in the second one, there's a yellow sponge in the lower left, but I don't know what the other objects are in the center. The things in the last photo look like hydroids, which are bad and a pain to get rid of. One of the easiest things to do is cover them with underwater epoxy.

jacrmill

this is the only place they are in my tank, can i just scrape them off? I thought hydroids were like a small jellyfish, these look like plants? can hydroids look like little plants growing on the rock?

jacrmill

I hope this is a better picture of the last one....Ive done a little research and see that hydroids have a polyp stage, which if they are hydroids they would be in that. but I also see that there are harmless hydroids and some crappy ones.....if these are hydroids, can you tell what type they are? If not I would rather not risk it, is there a way to just get rid of them while they are still in their polyp stage? does covering them with underwater epoxy work? Thanks for the help again....

D

dennis210

The picture quality isnt great but those look like small unopened zoanthids to me.

jacrmill

i pulled the rock out and clipped them off. I figured since I didnt pay for it, and I dont know what it is, its not worth the risk. I tried to scrub them off with a toothbrush but it didnt work. I ended up using fingernail clippers to chop them off. I learned a while ago in this hobby that if you didnt buy it specifically, there is a good chance it is a pest and getting rid of it early is way easier than getting rid of it late. But anyways, does anyone know if it will come back or what it is for sure? Sorry about the picture quality, thats the best my little digital camera would do.