What disease is this?

shookbrad

My yellow Tang has large white things attached to his tail fin, dorsal fin and just above both eyes. It is not ICK from what I can tell the white spots look like large pieces of salt. They look like you could just pluck them off. He is eating good and swimming around like he is happy.

nicetry

It's a viral infection known as lymphocystis. Common to tangs, angels and butterflies, particularly newly imported fish. It will normally clear up on it's own given good water and a good diet. Perform regular water changes. Give the tang a steady offering of greens as well as meaty foods. Soaking foods in supplements like selcon or zoe can also help. In the rare event of a very stubborn case, placing the fish in a quarantine tank and performing hyposalinity can help. It's usually not a cause for concern.

shookbrad

Thanks for the input!
I am feeding is seeweed daily and blood worms and brine shrimp which I started soaking in Garlic last night. I will post an update on this fish when I have one.
Brad

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by nicetry
It's a viral infection known as lymphocystis. Common to tangs, angels and butterflies, particularly newly imported fish. It will normally clear up on it's own given good water and a good diet. Perform regular water changes. Give the tang a steady offering of greens as well as meaty foods. Soaking foods in supplements like selcon or zoe can also help. In the rare event of a very stubborn case, placing the fish in a quarantine tank and performing hyposalinity can help. It's usually not a cause for concern.
I concur with that.
If you don't mind, I am going to use your picture to help others in the future.
It would be helpful if you could keep us posted on this, in this thread, as you attempt to address the issue.

shookbrad

First of all thank you to everyone's responses.
I believe everyone was right it was lymphocystis.
I mixed up some brine shrimp with fresh garlic and froze it. I broke it into small pieces and started feeding it to the entire tank. within 1 week the Tang looked much better and within two weeks he looked almost normal and by week 3 it was completely gone.
I also added a cleaner shrimp into the tank at the same time which might have helped.??
Beth I do not mind at all if you use these pics.

carshark

i saw this same disease on a heniochous in a LFS it tore away at its top fin and all over its fins, its truly a nasty disease, im curious did this pop up on its own? ive never had to deal with it, ive seen it but never dealt with it.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Wow! Seriously COOL. How about posting up a current healthy tang pic! I have your fish's pictures in the Diseased Fish Thread now. Would love to see him cured. Tell us what you did.