What do I do?

jrse7en

Well my tank already cycled everything looks great perfect PH everything is great perfect 1.024 sg 77 degrees. Fish are dying how can I reduce stress on the tank??????? I turned all the lights off fed them a bit and they refuse to eat. None of them look physically sick but they all swim fast in the same place. Umm I found one dead in my overflow this morning. What can I do to prevent any more deaths?

geoj

What are you testing I test these:
Calcium 440
Nitrate 0
Specific Gravity 1.025
Temp 75
Ph 8
Ammonia 0
KH 9
Nitrite 0
Phosphate 0

deejeff442

how many fish and how big a tank?
if you cycled a 55 gallon tank then put in 6 fish you will get an ammonia spike .
this will kill fish like adding liquid plumber.
test the ammonia level any sign of ammonia is toxic.
if you have ammonia buy some amquel plus fast.it nuetralizes ammonia .you can get it at pet-co
oh yea go phillies
also ph of 8 is a bit low 8.2-8.4

jrse7en

Originally Posted by GeoJ
http:///forum/post/3163711
What are you testing I test these:
Calcium 440
Nitrate 0
Specific Gravity 1.025
Temp 75
Ph 8
Ammonia 0
KH 9
Nitrite 0
Phosphate 0
Nitrate=10
SG=1.024
temp=76
PH=8.2-8.4 mix between the colors
Ammonia=0
Nitrite=0
Alkalinity shows a high buffer capacity
I use RO/DI water
ill test KH and calcium right now and post when i finish

deejeff442

if your tests are true and the fish are lazy and getting stuck to the ph or return might be lack of oxygen.what size tank and powerheads do you have in there?

jrse7en

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/3163758
if your tests are true and the fish are lazy and getting stuck to the ph or return might be lack of oxygen.what size tank and powerheads do you have in there?
I have a mag700 return and a vortech mp10 blowing all the way. I also have a vertex skimmer which helps w/ creating air bubbles in the water.
Only 1 fish is floating near the top and since ive had him he swims into the corners exclusively.
I haven't seen anyone go near the powerhead. I think it puts out plenty of flow.
I haven't see anyone go up to the powerhead. It puts out alot of flow imo.

jrse7en

Just added some RO water for topoff and the corner dwelling fish is now looking for food in the middle of the tank. It's a 55 gallon.

deejeff442

the tank seems to be in good order.where did you get the fish?
i have read about some people here buying at thier lfs and all thier fish dying from there.are all the fish from the same place?

jrse7en

http:///forum/post/3163780
the tank seems to be in good order.where did you get the fish?
i have read about some people here buying at thier lfs and all thier fish dying from there.are all the fish from the same place?
They are all from the same place yes. A couple things I did notice about two of the fish..
The one that died had a very small fleshy spot behind his eye. I researched it a little bit and it was too small to see clearly. I figured I would monitor for a couple days or so. The other fish which has been on the bottom side of the tank for the past couple days has a tear in the upper caudal fin. I think its from being nipped because I see no fungus or discoloration in the area.
I was talked out of a QT by the sales guy who seemed to have enough experience. We decided I would just have a hospital tank in case someone/someones got sick. He claims that many ppl lose fish too frequently just from the QT experience without a diseased fish. For a QT to work the fish needs to be in the tank for 6 weeks or so for it to be effective.

deejeff442

seems to me the fish guy has more bs than experience.a qt is a hospital tank.
what kind of fish are in your tank.no fish should have war wounds.
a qt is used for new fish to make sure there is no disease on them.three weeks in a qt is fine this gives you time to monator the fish and within 3 weeks you would see by then if something is wrong.
i would never add a new fish to my dt.i have two qt's a 55 and a 33 gallon.

geoj

I would have done a water change to lower KH and calcium, adding top off water would work if you had room to lower the salinity, we normally do but some times things are not normal.

A wound from nipping or running into the rockwork sometimes can kill a fish. Moonlights are something I think of when a fish just up and dies. Just speculative here ya know, if the tank is pitch black and there is a bump in the night, the fish can’t see to flee and smack in to the rock.

jrse7en

http:///forum/post/3163842
seems to me the fish guy has more bs than experience.a qt is a hospital tank.
what kind of fish are in your tank.no fish should have war wounds.
a qt is used for new fish to make sure there is no disease on them.three weeks in a qt is fine this gives you time to monator the fish and within 3 weeks you would see by then if something is wrong.
i would never add a new fish to my dt.i have two qt's a 55 and a 33 gallon.
I understood him in that a QT should be used if there was something wrong with a fish, otherwise put it in the DT. If something happens take it out and put it in the HT for treatment.
I bought 5 blue green chromis.
I have a 10g I need to setup tommorrow for a QT but I do not know where in the house I will put it yet. I'll figure it out.

deejeff442

if you put fish right in the dt and it has a disease then that fish contaninates the tank and all the fish will get the disease.
taking the diseased fish out you are still leaving the dt contaminated.
apparently again the lfs guy dont know much.
there is your problem 5 cromis .cromis will kill each other off in a power chain.meaning the strongest will be the only one left in the end.
alot of reefers want a schooling fish but really only in the ocean where there is alot of room to roam this is possible in a tank they fight.
if i were you i would find another lfs.
seems you set the tank up right but didnt do the research on the fish.
dont worry you wouldnt believe some of the stories on here of advice from thier lfs.i would suggest before you add anymore fish get a wish list together ,post it on this forum and you will get some unbiased opinions from some great experienced reefers.

jrse7en

http:///forum/post/3164011
if you put fish right in the dt and it has a disease then that fish contaninates the tank and all the fish will get the disease.
taking the diseased fish out you are still leaving the dt contaminated.
apparently again the lfs guy dont know much.
there is your problem 5 cromis .cromis will kill each other off in a power chain.meaning the strongest will be the only one left in the end.
alot of reefers want a schooling fish but really only in the ocean where there is alot of room to roam this is possible in a tank they fight.
if i were you i would find another lfs.
seems you set the tank up right but didnt do the research on the fish.
dont worry you wouldnt believe some of the stories on here of advice from thier lfs.i would suggest before you add anymore fish get a wish list together ,post it on this forum and you will get some unbiased opinions from some great experienced reefers.
I made a list and took it to the LFS im pretty sure ill stick with it.