what do I need for a frag tank?

meadbhb

Hiya,
Hubby has given me somewhat of an okay to set up a frag tank. He wants me to find out what I would need and how fast hard and soft corals would grow or if they can be kept in the same tank together.
So, if you were to set up a frag tank, tell me what you'd get. Brand names and prices would be great, from tank size to lighting. Please be as specific as possible. I have a friend that is willing to order me stuff pretty much at wholesale prices. Though, it depends on if her supplier carriers her.
Thanks!
Meadbhb

diadema

SOOO many variables. What kind of scale are you looking to do this on? IE: BIG - I want to make money, Medium - I just want to do it for fun, small - I just need some extra space to grow out the frags.
I'll assume you're doing it for fun (as doing it for proffit is pretty much a HUGE undertaking)
What I would do is grab a couple of 50 gallon rubbermaid tubs - and put them on stands approximately 30 inches off the ground - plumb them to a 100 gallon or so rubbermaid tub and put a big euroreef skimmer and 100 lbs of liverock in there. Run 1 tank with a pair of Iwasakis for growth and the other tank with XM 20k's. Preferably 400 watters on each. Put eggcrate in the middle of the tubs (on the higher lip of the tub) so that you can keep the SPS and clams in shallow water. Put your softies/LPS on the sides and under the eggcrate.
Then start buying stock from fellow reefers to propogate. PLEASE don't just buy wild corals and break them up to sell - there's already TOO much of that going on in this business, nobody needs another source for that...
Good luck - and have fun. The minute you stop having fun, tear it down.

meadbhb

Hiya,
Kinda want to do it for fun and support my hobby. I know I probably won't make money, but I'd like to try this.
You wouldn't use aquariums but rubbermaid tubs? This is probably going to be set up in my livingroom so I can enjoy the beauty of these corals.
No refug or sump? I'm going to do the egg crate stands and a bare bottom. Does this kind of tank need to cycle just like a regular one? I can always use the water and a bag of argonite sand from my main tank.
Meadbhb

diadema

allrightly then. Different story if it's going in the living room.
Speaking in generalities:
Tie the new tank into a common sump with your display tank (saves you time and money and larger water volumes are easier to keep stable)
Get a big skimmer that'll run both setups.
Get a nice shallow tank
Get BIG lights.
What I was describing before was a cheap and efficient setup - not necessarily something you'd want in your living room though. :)

meadbhb

Hiya,
Not sure I can move the display tank. Both tanks are going to be on different walls.
What brand of lights would you recommend? Should I run a skimmer on a frag tank or will a sump/fuge take care of waste?
Meadbhb