What do I need to get an anemone?

hsanchez

Currently I have a 20g long. I have about 20 lbs of live rock and crushed coral. And I have 2 false percs. I've been trying to avoid adding any more live stock because of the size of the tank, but it looks so boring. I was thinking about getting a BTA. I have 2 201 powerheads on each side and I initially been using tap water but have since switched to RO. When I first used the RO I did a 25% water change about 2 wks ago and have topped of with about 1 1/2 more gallons. I don't know if that makes a difference. As for lighting all I have is the florescent lights that came with the tank. If somebody could help me out with some advice on what i need and approx. cost I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Rob

thegrog

Do you need one? Easy question. NO!!!
It is a total myth that you need an anemone with clownfish. In fact, most captive bred clowns will not take to an anemone.
In addition, anemones are difficult creatures to keep. They require pristine water conditions and very intense lighting. What you have for lighting is nowhere near enough. Plus, it is tough to keep one in a 20 gallon tank. I would not advise an anemone in anything smaller than a 35.
If you want variation, there are plenty of corals that are beautiful and easier to keep. Mushrooms, polyps, xenias are just a few. Read up and learn!

T

t3d

I also have just started a 20 gallon long. Im still in my cycle. Lighting and water quality are the most important. I paid $180 for Coralife 2X65 watt 50/50 lighting with gives us about 6.5 watts per gallon for a tank thats only 12 inches deep, and that aint bad if im not mistaken :thinking: . But this is my first tank, so let somethers give their opinion.

hsanchez

Well thank you for raining on my parade. I know I don't need one but I wanted one. But I know that you might be right. So what would I need to get some polyps or mushrooms? I have read up on them and I believe that I need special lighting or something.
I was also looking into feather dusters, I don't need anything special for them right??
So if Mr. Grog or anybody else could help me out with any advice and what I need to buy and the cost range, i would appreciate it!
Thanks a bunch

T

t3d

clownfish corals and maybe an anemone. I have 40 lbs of sand and 30 lbs of LR in there now.

thegrog

Originally Posted by HSanchez
Well thank you for raining on my parade. I know I don't need one but I wanted one. But I know that you might be right. So what would I need to get some polyps or mushrooms? I have read up on them and I believe that I need special lighting or something.
I was also looking into feather dusters, I don't need anything special for them right??
So if Mr. Grog or anybody else could help me out with any advice and what I need to buy and the cost range, i would appreciate it!
Thanks a bunch
Feather dusters are filter feeders so lighting is no big thing. Just something as simple as a light bulb to differentiate night from day would work.
If you want polyps or mushrooms, you will need some more lighting. Look into retrofit kits that will install power compact (PC) lights into your existing tank hood. If you don't think you are handy enough, find one to replace what you have. The minimum you would need for mushrooms and most polyps is 36 watts of PC lighting....64 would be about perfect Not a whole lot, but it will do the job. If you can get two bulbs (18 or 32 watts each bulb) and have one bulb 10,000K and the other actinic OR both of them 50/50 bulbs, you will have a very pleasing setup that the mushrooms and polyps will like! The 'K' refers to the light specturm that the bulbs emit. This is the "special" lighting that you read about.
The whole lighting setup should cost you well under $100. Shop around, try that big acution site that begins with an 'E'. A light fixture is out there that will fit your tank and your budget!
Sorry to rain on your parade, but too many people get these beautiful creatures only to have them die because they do not have a proper system and this saddens me.
Any more questions, just ask!

hsanchez

I went to that site and saw some lighting. Could you check out item # 4379701567, and tell me is this what you are talking about. Mt tank's a 20g long, i believe it is 30 inches in length.
Thanks for all your Help

fishy7

Hey T3D,
Question....I am very new to this hobby and you said you have an average of 6.5 watts per gallon. Is there some type of calc that is useful info to know?
Thanks
:joy:

thegrog

Originally Posted by HSanchez
I went to that site and saw some lighting. Could you check out item # 4379701567, and tell me is this what you are talking about. Mt tank's a 20g long, i believe it is 30 inches in length.
Thanks for all your Help
That would be it. With that light, you would be set for most soft corals and polyps. The lunar lights are a nice feature as well to see the night life of your tank. I would still not advise an anemone in your tank as they are difficult to keep in anything smaller than a 30 gallon tank.

jojogeno

Originally Posted by TheGrog
Feather dusters are filter feeders so lighting is no big thing. Just something as simple as a light bulb to differentiate night from day would work.
If you want polyps or mushrooms, you will need some more lighting. Look into retrofit kits that will install power compact (PC) lights into your existing tank hood. If you don't think you are handy enough, find one to replace what you have. The minimum you would need for mushrooms and most polyps is 36 watts of PC lighting....64 would be about perfect Not a whole lot, but it will do the job. If you can get two bulbs (18 or 32 watts each bulb) and have one bulb 10,000K and the other actinic OR both of them 50/50 bulbs, you will have a very pleasing setup that the mushrooms and polyps will like! The 'K' refers to the light specturm that the bulbs emit. This is the "special" lighting that you read about.
The whole lighting setup should cost you well under $100. Shop around, try that big acution site that begins with an 'E'. A light fixture is out there that will fit your tank and your budget!
Sorry to rain on your parade, but too many people get these beautiful creatures only to have them die because they do not have a proper system and this saddens me.
Any more questions, just ask!

K does not refer to light spectrum... it actually means Kelvin, another form of rating temperature almost like Celcius. The "sun" is rated in Kelvin and that is why the lights are rated this way. Before you blast someone and try to teach them what they need, why don't you go and learn yourself so you don't go and make things up. To the person who wants to anemone... get the lighting that you need and figure out what anemone is a good match for your type of clown. Most of these people in this forum THINK they know what they are talking about but they just do what someone else tells them to do. If you fail at keeping it alive, then you need more light.

thegrog

Originally Posted by JoJoGeno
K does not refer to light spectrum... it actually means Kelvin, another form of rating temperature almost like Celcius. The "sun" is rated in Kelvin and that is why the lights are rated this way. Before you blast someone and try to teach them what they need, why don't you go and learn yourself so you don't go and make things up. To the person who wants to anemone... get the lighting that you need and figure out what anemone is a good match for your type of clown. Most of these people in this forum THINK they know what they are talking about but they just do what someone else tells them to do. If you fail at keeping it alive, then you need more light.
OK, first of all I was describing it in simple terms as I don't want to confuse a novice with overly complicated terminology. Keeping things simple is the best way to get it right. As for not knowing the meaning of Kelvin and needing to "learn myself"...I already have. My masters in Physics from the University of Illinois is proof of that.

For your information, The Kelvin scale was started in the late 1800s, when the British physicist William Kelvin heated a block of carbon. It glowed in the heat, producing a range of different colors at different temperatures. The black cube first produced a dim red light, increasing to a brighter yellow as the temperature went up, and eventually produced a bright blue-white glow at the highest temperatures. In his honor, Color Temperatures are measured in degrees Kelvin, which are a variation on Centigrade degrees. Instead of starting at the temperature water freezes, the Kelvin scale starts at "absolute zero," which is -273 Centigrade. (Subtract 273 from a Kelvin temperature, and you get the equivalent in Centigrade.) However, the color temperatures attributed to different types of lights are correlated based on visible colors matching a standard black body, and are not the actual temperature at which a filament burns.
So, while Kelvin is indeed a measurment of temperature, in this hobby we use it to refer to the specific specturm band of light produced. For example, a 10,000K light will be very white while a 20,000K light will be very blue.
Furthermore, doing a trial of your system by getting an anemone and seeing if it dies is not only irresponsible but downright cruel!
Many of the specimens in fish stores are wild caught and never make it in tanks. There are only so many out there in the oceans and if everyone uses them as "guinea pigs" for the adequacy of their lighting system, there won't be many left in the wild for everyone to enjoy!
Take this as you will.

boom215

ZZZzzzzzz...... im sorry someone was trying to show off in a fish thead then i fell asleep on my laptop.