What do people mean Diatoms will just go away?

twenty12

So I am new to the hobby and my tank has been up for almost 6 weeks now. I have gone through the cycle and started adding my cuc. I started running my lights when I added the cuc and now I have diatoms. Everything I read about it says it happens and it will go away. But my questions are..
1. How long will it last before it goes away? Is it a week, a month? I have had them for about a week now and seems to be getting worse rather then better.
2. Should I be doing anything about it? Everything I read (or told) is to just let it go. So just let it over run the tank?
3. What actually causes it to go away? Water quality improvement, increased cuc? What is the actual reason the diatoms will eventually disappear.
Thanks.

big

Welcome to the obsessin. It sounds like maybe you are not using RO water. Tap water contains silica witch the Diatoms use . No silica no diatoms...... Warren

lecithin

it could take a week, it could take a month. It will get worse before it gets better but it will definitely go away. Even if you are using RO water you will see a diatom bloom, give it time and you will notice one day it'll look like half of its gone, then two days later its like it was never there.

twenty12

I am using RO/DI water. It reads zero on my TDS meter. I guess I will let it go.. I have been cleaning my glass so right now its just the back wall, rocks, and sand with buildup. They say patience is key in this hobby... so I guess I continue to wait.

sepulatian

It really does depend. Also, new tanks get diatoms with the purest water. They are part of the natural cycle. How long they last does depend on your water and if you have a bio load during this time. Most inverts will not eat them. Don't buy any more. Many people invest in huge clean up crews that starve to death.

drtash

i had a bad growth of diatoms. I turned off my halide during the day. i now only keep them on maybe 2-3 a day, plus i limit my actinic and moon lights.
I did weekly changes and lightly vaccum the sand.....All gone!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by drtash
http:///forum/post/2462062
i had a bad growth of diatoms. I turned off my halide during the day. i now only keep them on maybe 2-3 a day, plus i limit my actinic and moon lights.
I did weekly changes and lightly vaccum the sand.....All gone!
That does work for bad blooms, but the algae feeds off of elements in the tank more than light. I am very glad that you were able to get rid of yours. They feed off of silicates and phosphates mostly. They are common in all new tanks though.

big

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2462066
That does work for bad blooms, but the algae feeds off of elements in the tank more than light. I am very glad that you were able to get rid of yours. They feed off of silicates and phosphates mostly. They are common in all new tanks though.
Good you are using RO. The bloom will pass . One day they wil have just vanished.. Next biggie may be that first big Alae bloom....
.. Good luck

sepulatian

Originally Posted by big
http:///forum/post/2462082
Good you are using RO. The bloom will pass . One day they wil have just vanished.. Next biggie may be that first big Alae bloom....
.. Good luck
I LOVE watching all of the algae stages of life. It is scary though to new hobbiests. It does not end with the diatoms. Please (OP) know that it is perfectly normal and you can ask us anything, anytime.

twenty12

So what should I expect next after the diatoms? Will the other algaes be taken care of by a proper cuc? Your right though... its scary to a new hobbiest. Everytime one thing changes in my tank I start to get worried.

I'm trying to be as patient as possible.. but I can't wait to get my first fish. I was hoping to wait till after the diatoms went away.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by twenty12
http:///forum/post/2462116
So what should I expect next after the diatoms? Will the other algaes be taken care of by a proper cuc? Your right though... its scary to a new hobbiest. Everytime one thing changes in my tank I start to get worried.

I'm trying to be as patient as possible.. but I can't wait to get my first fish. I was hoping to wait till after the diatoms went away.
Yes, wait! You will be glad that you did. Your tank is very unstable at the moment. Adding a fish will throw off the balance that is trying to be created. Other blooms can come from anything. You can have hair algae, orange algae, dark green algae, etc. It depends. You don't have to wait long, but a few more weeks will do it. Your first fish should be a hardy one. When there are fluctuations then a hardy fish will be alright during it. Do you have a stock list yet?