what do ya think

naclfish

I just set up and old tank i had in my basement a 20l i used this tank between a leak and getting a cube couple weeks tops. I drained it and put it away with sand bed intact and about 20 25lbs live rock. ls and lr was from a established tank over 5 years old it just didnt all fit in my cube and i wanted a bare bottom tank. i reffiled this tank last night and it was some nasty water so i added a skimmer and pulled a pretty good amount. My question is do ya think all the crap left in the tank is enough to get a cycle going? should i ghost feed a bit toss in a shrimp? i have a lot of lr in my other tanks more than enough to add to this one but i dont think it will get much die off walking across my house.
tank 20l, reef octopus bh110ss skimmer 1 k-3 4 bulb t5ho,also have a cpr hob fuge but dont see a point in putting it up yet as this tank is devoid of life.
planning on sps and clams perhaps a flounder

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by naclfish http:///forum/thread/380235/what-do-ya-think#post_3308825
I just set up and old tank i had in my basement a 20l i used this tank between a leak and getting a cube couple weeks tops. I drained it and put it away with sand bed intact and about 20 25lbs live rock. ls and lr was from a established tank over 5 years old it just didnt all fit in my cube and i wanted a bare bottom tank. i reffiled this tank last night and it was some nasty water so i added a skimmer and pulled a pretty good amount. My question is do ya think all the crap left in the tank is enough to get a cycle going? should i ghost feed a bit toss in a shrimp? i have a lot of lr in my other tanks more than enough to add to this one but i dont think it will get much die off walking across my house.
tank 20l, reef octopus bh110ss skimmer 1 k-3 4 bulb t5ho,also have a cpr hob fuge but dont see a point in putting it up yet as this tank is devoid of life.
planning on sps and clams perhaps a flounder

I would think you will know your answer in a day or so if a cycle has begun, I would think so. Why bother with a skimmer...let it ride. I would put the fuge on and let it cycle with the rest.

naclfish

Yeah i didnt plan on putting the skimmer on but the water was so nasty the power head was making skimmate

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by naclfish http:///forum/thread/380235/what-do-ya-think#post_3308829
Yeah i didnt plan on putting the skimmer on but the water was so nasty the power head was making skimmate

LOL...I'm sure it will cycle then. You could rinse everything off before beginning, that would have helped some. However since you have done it this way...why not.

naclfish

yeah didnt think to rinse lol oh well figure ill let it run a few weeks then add the fuge with rubble from my sump and and macro then transfer some lr start the lights and let it hang for a couple months once its nice and happy and stable ill start thinking of a fish or 2 really would like a pys.mand. but i dont know if ill have a pod population to support it for the long run in only a 20l being im planning this tank for sps and clams i dont wanna have to worry about a bio load from fish....hmmmm lots of time to think tho