What do you call a yellow clownfish?

meemo

What is the name for a yellow clownfish? Or is it just a variant of something? I'd really like to find some. Anyone know where to get them reasonable? Also, can they live with other types of clownfish happily?

barry cuda

Got a pic? There are several species that have varied amounts of yellow coloration....not sure which one you're asking about.

srt80

i was at my LFS the other day and I noticed 2 yellow clownfish. They looked like an ocellaris but instead of orange, they was yellow. They didnt say ocellaris, just said "clownfish pair" on the tank. 79.95 for them. They looked like they wasnt too healthy kind of. I dont know and didnt ask......

debnflo

Probably talking about Clarkii? They are the widest availble of the yellow colored clowns... Like Barry said, it's hard to say w/o a pic.

debnflo

Oh, and to answer you last question most species of clowfish don't live with any other species on good terms.

meemo

I have seen pictures of ocellaris yellow clownfish. Are these unusual? Also, I've seen a couple of posts saying the yellow ones couldve been undernourished. Would that make it bad to buy them? I don't want a lot of black like a clarkii, just yellow mainly with the average amount of black around the bars. Anyone know where I could find some like this or is it prob just luck of the draw due to variations?
Also, where is the sticky about clownfish - someone mentioned it but I can't find it.
Would it be ok or good to put a fake coral and anemone in the qt with a clown fish? Or would they just ignore it anyway. I'm afraid it will be lonely w/ just a couple pieces pvc, no LR or sand. Of course, my main tank wont have anemones either but it will have live rock and sand for comfort.
a

srt80

Meemo, I bought one of those new Sea Garden anemones. They are cool. If you have it near current, it moves. I dont have any current on mine though. I dont know if my ocellaris clowns are "hosting" it, but they dont go too far from it and when they do they always come back. They also like to swin through it. I got the anemone with the fake coral. They have a few others. I know petsmart, superpets, and petland carries these.....

meemo

The fake coral/anemone I bought is aqua-garden brand. They sell it at walmart and petsmart. I soaked it in tap water and now it smells like paint. It says safe for all aquariums but I am afraid it may contaminate my qt. I haven't put it in there. Does yours look or smell painted?

fishman830

actually i have 2 species of clowns in teh same tank.. no problems, 2 false percula's and 1 clarkii clown

howieumd

Fisherman830, I have 2 False Percula's right now and 2 Clarkii's on the way. I've heard and read that the Clarkii's can get mean, of course after I ordered them, but I have seen other posts where Clarkii's and False Percs have been fine together. How long have you had yours together? The Perc's have been in there for 2 months now, so I should be fine adding the Clarkii's afterwards, right? They will be in a 72 gallon. Would you recommend just putting 1 Clarkii in the tank, or would adding both be fine, giving me a pair of Clarkii's and a pair of False Percs, neither necessarily a mated pair, yet at least, although the Percs seem pretty close with eachother now. Thanks.