what do you guys think?

ophiura

What kind of fish are you keeping in this FOWLR?
If predators, I would ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY run it with bioballs.
If you are doing smaller community fish, then I see no reason why you couldn't run it as you are now.

ophiura

Bioballs are EXCEEDINGLY effective at what they do, which is growing bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. That is the end of their purpose.
In a predator tank which may have a lot of feedings, I would rather deal with a less significant nitrate problem than have any risk of a lingering ammonia problem. Nitrate is not as critical to fish health as it is to coral health, so the magic "0" is not as significant.
In a reef tank, obviously, that is not the case, and we must look at the possible downfall of bioballs. They can accumulate a bunch of waste, which is a problem. However this is due to not properly caring for them, which regardless of bioballs or not, will have an impact on any system. It is just not proper maintenance. It has been postulated that the bacteria that convert nitrate (which are found deep in LR or deep in a sand bed) act preferentially on nitrate formed in the upper layers of rock or sand. So nitrate produced "distantly" in a wet/dry may just accumulate over time.
That being said I would still rather deal with a nitrate problem (as there are several alternatives) than an ammonia issue.
You can always also plumb in a refugium system, and using a good skimmer will also help. But aggressive fish have personality, and they are fun to feed. I would definitely use a wet/dry

cunningham

Id like to thank all of you guys for your posts
they are very informative it is cool that you guys stop and take the time to answer my ?'s i really appreciate it and have learned alot about the bio balls.

sign guy

leave it to ophiura to make everything cristal clear
and make shure you post pic's once everything is setup

sign guy

Originally Posted by hemicj
i would rather use live rock than bio balls, no cleaning needed and its the natural filter mabey put a light over it with some macro alge and youll have best results
you should still clean them as well imo

cunningham

Originally Posted by sign guy
leave it to ophiura to make everything cristal clear
and make shure you post pic's once everything is setup

you got it

reefpercul

Over the 7 years ive been keeping reef tanks i have conducted a couple of experiments leading me and alot of other reef keppers to belive that bio balls do more bad then good, they are subject to holding and releasing nitrites into your water after a long period of time of having them like 2-3 years, anything that gets in them and dissolves in them will stay in their surface area and be hold as nitrites, most reef keepers today will only use a sump/refugium a proteim skimmer (maybe) and live rock no bio balls.

ophiura

Originally Posted by reefpercul
Over the 7 years ive been keeping reef tanks i have conducted a couple of experiments leading me and alot of other reef keppers to belive that bio balls do more bad then good, they are subject to holding and releasing nitrites into your water after a long period of time of having them like 2-3 years, anything that gets in them and dissolves in them will stay in their surface area and be hold as nitrites, most reef keepers today will only use a sump/refugium a proteim skimmer (maybe) and live rock no bio balls.

IMO, this is due to improper maintenance and not properly cleaning the excess gunk that accumulates on them. Otherwise, they do not (IMO) release nitrites (nitrates?)...except in that they are supposed to convert ammonia ultimately to nitrates. But if you allow them (or ANY other substrate whether live rock rubble, etc) to accumulate a bunch of gunk, yes, it will be a problem. But whether that lack of maintenance is specifically due only to failures of bioballs, or the hobbyists lack of maintenance in general (and I suspect that latter, personally), is open to debate, IMO.
If I was running a reef tank, I would not per se run bioballs. That would not be my first choice. But this is an aggressive fish only system - possibly heavy feedings - and that should be noted. Nitrate levels are not as much of a concern, IMO. I would definitely run a skimmer on an aggressive tank as well (a good
one!
)
However there are many successful ways of running a tank, and exposure to all opinions is definitely needed to allow the hobbyist full exposure to pros and cons

IMO, though, it just doesn't do justice to say that bioballs are bad when the problems and downfalls can be more specifically addressed. Poorly kept systems of any sort, wether bioballs or refugium, may ultimately have the same problems down the road. It is a personal choice for sure, and you can go many ways with it.