What do you hate about this hobby?

mrdc

I know there is a thread in the New Hobbyist are on what you wish you had known before you started but I thought it would be good to have one for those that can express what they hate.
Me:
1) Worrying..what might die, electricity going out?, is that another hurrincane coming my way? ...
2) Cleaning
3) Buying stuff that you never see (I have learned)..pistol shrimps, BBS, ...
4) LFS stores can throw you a line of SHEAT!!! (cycle with Damsels...also goes into the wish I knew first thread)
I will start with that. Even though I have some things I hate, I don't regret anything. Heck there are things I hate with my kids but I would NEVER give them up for ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and I want more but the wife doesn't
)

diane4

The constant lugging of water for top offs. I do about 2-5 gallons of top off daily among my 3 saltwater tanks.
Having a 42 gallon trash can almost constantly in the middle of your kitchen as your 100 GPD r/o machine makes the r/o water - one drip at a time, drip drip drip.
The cost of equipment and animals
The fear of going on vacation
Having to do hyposalinity.

hot883

What I hate is:
staring with a 55 gallon. Less then 1 year later having a 125 gallon. And now I am looking for a 300 gallon. HA!

threed240

Originally Posted by hot883
What I hate is:
staring with a 55 gallon. Less then 1 year later having a 125 gallon. And now I am looking for a 300 gallon. HA!
Yeah, I started with a 10. And now Im setting up a 55. Im building a custom stand, and I could have went and bought one for less than I have already spent. I'd say the thing I hate most is the horrible expense for things that are necessities(spell*). Lighting, LR, LS, filtration, it keeps going and going.

blazehok68

I Hate The Fact That I Talk So Enthusiastically About My Tank To People Who Arent Into The Hobby, They Say It Seems Really Cool And They Want To Come Over And Look At The Tank, And When They Finally Do, They Glance At It For About 30 Seconds And Say "oh Thats Nice." Im Like :what The F***! You Barely Looked At It." Then They Say " I Looked At It. Its Just A Fish Tank."
I Hate It I Hate It I Hate It!
I Guess Im Just Too Passionate.

eyebedam

I love th coraline covering the back of my tank. I dont know why folks scrape it off. I do the sides & front but not the back. Its a natural background.
I hate wanting something new everytime I go to the LFs.

celacanthr

1) Cycling
2)Always needing another tank (once I have a tank setup I am usually very happy with it, so I don't upgrade, but I soon realize that there is yet another creature that I MUST keep)
3) Forum addictions
-CELA

alyssia

Originally Posted by eyebedam
I love th coraline covering the back of my tank. I dont know why folks scrape it off. I do the sides & front but not the back. Its a natural background.
I hate wanting something new everytime I go to the LFs.

I leave the coralline on the back too, but man I hate it on the sides and front.

alyssia

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
1) Cycling
2)Always needing another tank (once I have a tank setup I am usually very happy with it, so I don't upgrade, but I soon realize that there is yet another creature that I MUST keep)
3) Forum addictions
-CELA

Forum addictions, that's a good one!

thangbom

not having enough $$ to feed the addiction. and having to set-up my tank up agin in a few months and staring all over.. which brong me back to the $$ thing agin.. cuzz that mean upgrading toys to meet the new requirments!!!! NO!!!!!!

ryan115

Trying to rationalize spending $100 at my lfs but saying I cant save up for an engagment ring right now
. But she's been with me from starting this hobby to now, maybe she will understand

mimzy

fear of electrocution
fear of flooding
fear of being bitten/poisoned/stung by something in the tank that you DID NOT put there on purpose
fear of no longer being able to fund my college education.... LoL

diane4

BLAZEHOK68 - I couldn't agree more. I get insulted when I get comments like that. They can't help it, they are just ignorant to the hobby and it's requirements. They are clueless.

R

ramsey

The price to start a tank
Cant have many fish
And corals that need $$$ to live