What do you hate about this hobby?

bronco300

-the price jump from a 75gallon to a 150 and on up

-finally getting toxins from the zoos in me
-I'll run out of money to buy my zoos, even after i get the toxins

-hate when people get on me about spending $35 on a coral..then they go and spend 50$++ on ONE pair of pants!
old fear/hate--roommates trying to be funny and put something stupid in the tank(like beer,etc)...lucky for their lives they never did.

mrdc

Some of you have covered some fears that I didn't list! I guess worry encompases a lot of things, like flooding, electrocution, things dieing, ....
Glad to see that I am not the only ones that worries. Unlike promise who loves everything...I hate that too

Just kidding!

maroonytun

When my friends call hippo tangs, Dory Fish and they go thru the lfs and try and find the whole cast and the get a moorish idol mixed up with a henoichus. Then tell me to by a shark or a barracuda.

alyssia

Originally Posted by maroonytun
When my friends call hippo tangs, Dory Fish and they go thru the lfs and try and find the whole cast and the get a moorish idol mixed up with a henoichus. Then tell me to by a shark or a barracuda.

fogger

Originally Posted by diane4
BLAZEHOK68 - I couldn't agree more. I get insulted when I get comments like that. They can't help it, they are just ignorant to the hobby and it's requirements. They are clueless.
They can't help it, we are the ones with the saltwater addiction

michelle l

I hate people who set up a saltwater system and then don't do what is necessary to maintain the health of the fish, or put fish in that aren't compatible, and then blame the LFS when it fails.
I have a friend who owns a reef store, and this happened to him last week. A customer bought a trigger and called him a week later wanting a refund on it, as well as every other fish in his tank because the trigger ate everything.

maroonytun

No, I wanted to scream at him, then he kept telling me to buy a shark for my nano!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:help:
Originally Posted by alyssia

diane4

Lack of time and money to do all the things you want to for your tanks.
Not knowing what is right as a newbie since so many people have different opinions.

maeistero

Originally Posted by Ryan115
Trying to rationalize spending $100 at my lfs but saying I cant save up for an engagment ring right now
. But she's been with me from starting this hobby to now, maybe she will understand

amen brother! i at least have an heirloom ring for her, but the cost of having all the diamonds reset on a white band are insane.
my others would be water changes of course and finding outrageous deals on huge tanks but not having the money for the accessories.

jam1e

1. The Cost of everything
2. people coming to my house and "naming" my yellow tang:Bubbles, my Blue Hippo Tang: Dori, my Long-nosed butterfly: whatever it's name is in "Finding Nemo", and My Fricken Tomato Clownfish: NEMO .. that's stupid .... and yes .. my sister also wants me to buy a $800 Hawaiian Dragon Moray Eel and put it into my fully stocked 65 Gallon so that it can make ordurves(Spell*) out of all of them
3. Fearing to put my hand in the tank for fear of getting hit by my Volitan Lionfish

ryan115

Stores that dont take care of their live stock...I cant even go near ***** any more, I get depressed just looking at the fish. Last time I went they had about 8 purple tangs in a 40g

akhuneteru

The Worst: The cost and addiction. Your husband complaining and not understanding why you would pay $30 for a fish and $50 for a coral. And those are cheap! The Best: Sitting back at the end of the day and say,"Wow! I did that all by myself." Your children coming to the tank several times a day to look in every crevice in search of that elusive boxing crab or baby sea urchin. It is like having your own piece of the ocean in the comfort of your own home. It is a great learning tool for kids. It teaches them time and patience and that the ocean is beautiful. I think overall the good outweighs the bad.

jam1e

Originally Posted by Akhuneteru
I think overall the good outweighs the bad.

well said

radiolotek

Umm I have a new one as of tonight. I hate fireworms. I hate them with all of my heart. So where is a good place to get gloves? Or can I use non powdered latex ones? Oh yeah I hate Fireworms.

suzi1780

stupid people hahahaha let me explain, this post on craiglist annoys me:
I AM INTERESTED ALL AVAILABLE MARINE AQUARIUM EQUIPMENT. I WOULD PREFER TRADES OR FREE IF POSSIBLE. I AM REALLY IN NEED OF VHO, PC, AND HALIDE LIGHTING. PROTIEN SKIMMERS, POWER HEADS, SALT, REFUGIUM, PUMPS, FILTERS, TREATMENT CHEMICALS, LIVE ROCK. IF YOU HAVE ANY OF THESE ITEMS PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS
ummm right buddy this guy has nooooooooooooooooooooooo idea what he is getting himself into if he thinks people are going to give him lr, mh lighting for FREE!!! Maybe I am just mean