what do you need

dragonzim

In a nutshell, you will need the tank, a stand, a heater, lights of some sort, depending on what you want to keep. Filtration, which can either be via live rock, a sump, a hang on or a canister. Lots of test kits, for things like Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ph. If you want to go reef you should also get kits for Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium. A hydrometer is a good investment for measuring your salinity. Other things that are good but arent immediately needed are a good protein skimmer and a couple of powerheads for water movement

sly

It would be easier if you told us what you have... Then we can start from there.
For the basics you need:
  • hydrometer
  • thermometer
  • ocean salt mix
  • saltwater test kit with ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, alkalinity
    heater
    a filter system
    a protein skimmer
    powerheads
There are MANY filter system options as well as lighting options.

michaeltx

dont forget alot of time patients and money.
You are at the right place look through the archives at the bottom of the list there are alot of good threads there that will get you started on some ideas to where you want to go with your tank.
Mike

sly

One of the important things to remember is to buy good quality stuff. You will waste more time and money buying cheap equipment... As far as powerheads go, I only recommend MaxiJet powerheads. For system pumps Mag Drive and Iwaki are two of the best. Rio pumps and powerheads are average... I have 2 of them and they are noisy and they freeze up sometimes. I have never had a problem out of my maxijet powerhead and my Iwaki system pump.
For skimmers I recommend looking at the ETS skimmers. They are expensive but they are amazing. I have a Kent Nautilus TE skimmer and it works good... but I would rather have an ETS.
Get a refractometer rather than a floating hydrometer. Refractometers are far more accurate for measuring your salinity than are floating hydrometers.
When you buy lights, get them with a cooling fan and you will save both your lights and your fish from overheating.
Think about getting a refugium. Macro algae works wonders at removing nitrates and phosphates from the water.
Never add more than one or two fish at a time and give your tank plenty of time to recover before you add anything else. Adding too many fish to quickly will cause your tank to crash and possibly kill everything in it. You need to give your biological system time to adjust to your new bioload before you add anything else.
Always premix your saltwater overnight before adding it to your tank. Raw water has very little dissolved oxygen and if you mix in the salt without aerating it then once oxygen begins to disolve in the water, your specific gravity will raise higher than what you intended. Aerate and heat the water prior to adding your salt. Then let it mix overnight before adding it to your tank when you do your water changes.
Most tanks can support around 1 inch of fish for every 5 gallons of water. This is not carved in stone but it is generally true. Keep in mind that your fish will grow. If your tank can hold them today, that does not mean that it can hold them later on.
Keep your tank away from sunlight at all times. It will heat the water and will cause algae to grow.
Get a cleanup crew as soon as you can. Snails and crabs will keep your tank much cleaner than you can by yourself.
Fish don't eat much so don't overfeed them. I feed mine once per day and sometimes skip a day. They haven't complained yet...
Never add chemicals to your tank that you don't test for. If you want to add calcium to help your corals grow, buy a calcium test kit... Snake oils are also not needed. Proper maintenance will solve almost all problems.
Use foam prefilters to keep your main filter clean. Rinse them out regularly.
There are several substrate options avaliable. You can use sand or crushed coral. If you use crushed coral do not use more than a 1 inch depth or you will have problems. If you use sand and want to go with a deep sand bed, don't mess with it. Stirring your sand can cause the tank to crash as it exposes the bacteria to oxygen and kills them. This bacteria is beneficial and will grow over time and is key to your biological filter system. So don't mess with the sand...
Always make slow changes, acclimate properly, quarantine when necessary and never add medications to your display tank. Set up a hospital tank if you get sick fish and medicate them there.
Be patient. Spend lots of money. ...And remember that their lives are in your hands. :happyfish

sly

Originally Posted by chipmaker
ya all forgot you also need salty water....................duh!

Originally Posted by Sly

For the basics you need:
  • ocean salt mix
***)

1journeyman

Chance, you're on the right track.
I highly recommend Fenner's book "A Conscientious Marine Aquarist". Also look at Calfo and Fenner's "Reef Invertebrates" and Michael's "Marine Fishes"
Imho it's good to get some books and read up. You'll get some contradictory advice on the boards and fish stores. It really helps to be able to read up and get a solid foundation for what you'll hear.
The first thing you need to decide (and tell us) is what kind of tank are you looking at? Fish only, reef, aggressive, etc. That will determine to a large degree what you will need.
Sit down and figure out a budget. A lot of people have failed at this hobby becasue they didn't plan it through and tried to cut corners.

chance

I was thinking about a 29 gallon tank with a bicolor blenney scissortail goby a
false percula clown fish and 30 pounds of fiji foundation rock.Thanks for the support.

michaeltx

It would be easier if you told us what you have... Then we can start from there.
For the basics you need:
hydrometer
thermometer
ocean salt mix
saltwater test kit with ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, alkalinity
heater
a filter system
a protein skimmer
powerheads
There are MANY filter system options as well as lighting options
here is a basic list besides LR and LS to the list
Mike

michaeltx

cost all depends on if ordered online or bought at a local store.
look at spending anywhere from 50 to 100$ a gallon for total cost give or take some for a complete setup. more if you go fancyier or more elaborate. you can search through the aqaurium supplies setcion on the left of the screen to get a few prices.
Mike

michaeltx

hydrometer is a device that measures spefic gravity or salt content of the water to get a precis reading.
Prorein skimmer is a filtration device that filters out proteins from the water column,
powerheads are pumps that push water around the tank to keep the water movement up and keep the water oxygenated.
Mike