What do you put in a fuge?

thered

I have a protein skimmer in one section, my sand and live rock in the middle, but what do I put on the other side? Also, do I put bio balls in the overflow?

squidd

Originally posted by TheRed
...I have a protein skimmer in one section, my sand and live rock in the middle, but what do I put on the other side?
>>>That's where the "return pump" to the tank would go if you are doing a fuge in center layout<<<
Also, do I put bio balls in the overflow?
>>>Not needed, if you have adequate LR in the main tank and/or supplemented in the fuge<<<

squidd

There are more effective ways to run carbon than putting it in the sump...but you could...
Preferably in a high flow area like under the overflow drain pipe..
You had already mentioned LR and LS so mud would be redundant...but it depends on what you want your fuge to "do" for you...could be a s simple as a unlit "rubble" pile for pod production or xenia for nutrient removal or mangroves or Macros or...
Your choice of "fuge filler" should be based on what you need or want it to do and what you are "comfortable" in maintaining...
After all, it is another mini-ecosystem your starting...

thered

So there should be nothing on the other side of the fuge except the return pump? Fish must be expensive up there!

squidd

Originally posted by TheRed
So there should be nothing on the other side of the fuge except the return pump? Fish must be expensive up there!

:confused: :notsure:

thered

PART 1 - If I have the skimmer on one side, the sand and stuff in the middle, then ... are you saying that only the return pump should be on the other side? Part 2 - Fish must be expensive up there where you are.

squidd

OHHH...
1. Yep...
2. Not really...I only live a couple miles away from a couple of "Drs" who have a large on-line warehouse dist center located up here in the middle of "nowhere" and of course they keep a good line of "live aquaria" on hand that I get "pretty durn good" pricing on with my "good customer" discount...:yes:
Basicly That's my LFS...:yes:

ohioreef

Originally posted by Squidd
OHHH...
2. Not really...I only live a couple miles away from a couple of "Drs" who have a large on-line warehouse dist center located up here in the middle of "nowhere" and of course they keep a good line of "live aquaria" on hand that I get "pretty durn good" pricing on with my "good customer" discount...:yes:
Basicly That's my LFS...:yes:

I'm jealous!!! :mad:

squidd

Originally posted by phipps
I'm jealous!!! :mad:

Did I mention the retail outlet with the "Returned, Refunded, and Damaged Pakaging" DISCOUNT section for all your "hardware" needs...

And of course...I "flirt" with the floor manager...:D

I

irenicus

Squidd, I live in WI too, and was thinking about making a trek to the Land of Rhine to visit some drs so to speak, I had a few questions but I do not want to violate any rules of the SWF board, Can I email them to you? Please contact me @
nwo_icon@hotmail NOSPAM .com
remove the no spam
Hope to hear from you!

squidd

Originally posted by phipps
:nope: You don't need to rub it in!!! :nope:

...and She's a HOTTY to boot...
:hilarious