What do you think about these removable baffles?

hefner413

I found this site that gives an idea of constructing a sump with removabe/movable baffles rather than putting them in place permanently. What do you all think?
I think it sounds easier, and more versatile - but do you think it will hold up?
*EDIT PLEASE DO NOT POST LINKS TO SITES THAT HAVE COMPETITOR ADS WITHIN THE SITE!!! Its against the baord rules. *
Thanks!

hefner413

Sorry, didn't mean to - anyway, the site talks about making "Pressure Locking Sump Baffles" - it is by Joshua McMillen. It talks about using foam weather stripping rather than glue to bind the baffles to the sump - thus enabling you to move / adjust them anytime you want after making. I won't post the link - against the rules, but if you search for Pressure Locking Sump Baffles on Google - it's the first site. THANKS!

I have never tried it, but should work, and rather well at that. Hey! Give it a try and be the guinee pig for us. Let us know how it turns out!

anubisxero

I have it on my converted pro clear sump. I made it into a refugium. They work for the most part. I emplore you to cut the baffles as tight as you can get them with being able to squeeze them into place. Mine on occasion slides out of place. I've woken up twice to the baffle having moved and sand blowing around it. I've since retro fitted it so that it can't be pushed out of the way. But I think it's a good idea.

reefkprz

I think eventually the foam is going to break down and you'll end up replacing the foam after the baffles slide out of place, but it is a pretty ingenious idea.

anubisxero

If you can find rubber weather stripping versus foam..i'd say that'd be even better and less likely to slide. But the idea is pretty ingenous.
as for how much to leave, it just depends on the thickness of the foam. first time i tried the foam was so thick i couldn only do it with foam on one side.

hefner413

Yeah - I know I've seen rubber weather stripping, but it was not adhered by a glue tack, but rather by small nails. Do you all know if there is a rubber type with an adhesive? Or if the silicone will adhere rubber to the glass baffle?