What do you think about this Lighting Combo?

ballyhoo

I'm currently putting together my canopy for my 72 bow and my question was what do you think I should do for lighting. I was thinking
(A) 2-250mh with 2-95w vho actinic = 690 total watts
"or"
(B) 2- 175mh with 2-36w vho actinic = 422 total watts
Any other suggestions would be great!!!!

thegrog

With option A, you would be set for most any coral, anemone or clams. That is what I would go with so that way, you don't have to upgrade later when you want something new! Just with that much wattage, be sure you have plenty of air circulation to keep things cool!

msd2

A would be my preference, BUT if your only keeping softies, shrooms or other less light intensive critters its just overkill, more expensive, and wasteful. If you have a pretty solid idea on the animals you want to keep then get the light setup thats most apropriate for them. Like TheGrog said heat maybe an issue so get what you need ;)

ballyhoo

Ok since "A" is the prefered choice....... is the wattage combo good for color?
Meaning 2-95w of actinic is not too much or too little for good color?

squidd

That depends on the "K" value or "color" of your MH...and what color (or how much) your looking for from the overall effect...

ballyhoo

Squidd, I have never used MHs so I don't really know what would be the best to use. :notsure: so far from what I've read 10k is more of a white, as for the higher k value the more blue. I do want to have the dusk/dawn effect. I've read that 14k mh do not need to be supplemented with anything. What do you think that I should use to get the best colors out of my corals. Or better yet, how would you set it up if it were yours. Thanks

squidd

I'd set it up for the highest PAR value for the light produced in a spectrum that promotes coral growth as well as brings out the natural colors...
Then "colorize" or shade it with additional actinics ...running them either as a dawn and dusk light with MH on mid day (more visual white) OR dawn "through" dusk and additional MH mid dat (more blue)
How blue depends not only on K rating of bulb, but also ballast selection as well as MFG selection of any particular "K" bulb...
I run a Phoenix 14K DE on a 250 magnetic HQI ballast with 130 watt PC actinic in the dawn "through" dusk mode...

msd2

I personally think the xm 10,000k bulbs produce a nice crisp white light. I run 2 250wt and one 175wt xm's, and 2 actinics ( I think 96wts), and for a evening cycle I installed two 9 watt night viewing lamps that kick on to cycle towards night before the moonlights. It causes an interesting coloring of the tank with just the night view lights and the actinics.

msd2

mine are el cheapo magnetic ballasts, I just couldnt justify the cost/savings ratio of going w/an electic ballast since I alread know what lights I will run.

db

I second 2 - 250w 10K XM bulbs if you are running se. This would be a good combo with the VHO, and would give you great PAR.

ballyhoo

Originally Posted by DB
I second 2 - 250w 10K XM bulbs if you are running se. This would be a good combo with the VHO, and would give you great PAR.
DB what do you me by se?

ballyhoo

Originally Posted by msd2
single ended bulbs aka mogul base.
OOOOOOO see you learn something new everyday! thanks