What Do You Think Of My Bargain 180 Setup?

debdeb

We bought this setup last night FOR $700.00 :joy: from a guy who is moving. Here's what all we got, let me know what you think please.
Oceanic 180g reef tank (72X24X24) w/Oceanic oak stand
custom oak canopy with fans
3 - 250w metal halide 10,000k (w/mogul base) lights
2 - 96w pc's with full actinic bulbs
2 mh ballasts, 1 is a dual
1 pc ballast
Oceanic trickle filter (not sure of model) about the size of a 40 gallon tank w/ a Pondmaster 950 pump (I have a new Iwaki WMD40RLXT water pump I got for $75 that I will use)
CPR SR6 protein skimmer w/maxi-jet 1200
200 to 250 lbs of sand
150 lbs of nice coral rock (dead but will seed with live rock)
2 big boxes of misc. stuff like test kits, heaters, feeders, timers, power strips, food etc.
1 box of books (most hardbound nice reference books on fish, corals and inverts)
extra foam prefilter tubes & filter media
The setup is 5 years old, but looks new. He had it set up as a FO tank and he has taken very good care of it. The tank looks like it is scratch free. He had it all broken down so I couldn't see it full and running. I have to take his word for it that everything works fine. No evidence of leaking or water damage on the stand.
My husband and I are new (9 months into our 37 gallon reef) so need all the advice we can use setting this up. We have plenty of time since there isn't livestock and live rock & sand to worry about. All advice/opinions are welcome. Thx

pallan

congrats sounds like a nice buy to me.
my 2 250 watt MH with ballasts alone cost me 500 so throw in the base rock and everything else is freebies.
i dont know about the skimmer and filter but it really does all sound like a good start to a great tank. :cheer: :cheer:

fishrule

Sounds like a good deal to me, as long as everything is working properly.
The Tank and stand alone would have cost you more than $700.00 if you bough it new...
Can you post up some pics when you get water in it???

debdeb

Sure, I'll take pix as soon as I can. We are going to go slow with this one. Once it's in place, it won't be moved!
I forgot to add that I have a 37g reef now that I am thinking about making into a refugium once I have the big tank up and running. I just don't know for sure how to plumb everything together. I'll be reading and asking lots of questions first.

1knight164

Awesome deal!!! I bought a 55 for $850. Didn't have MH, but it did have a chiller. Not quite the deal you got. Conrats.
:jumping: Can't wait to see the pics.

durgeonman

great deal, a new oceanic tank and stand can go for almost 2 grand where i live. as i see it, you got a really great deal. gratz.

dejaco

Fantastic deal! My 210 was a complete set, was still running the day I bought it. Mine was $2700.00 complete with some livestock and corals.
So yes I would say you got quite the deal! With those lights I can tell ya you will need a chiller!

tjake68

Tank and stand alone cost around 700 maybe even more You scored a major deal.A guy in my fish club got a 110 oceanic with stand hang on refugium with light sand rock 10 pieces of coral t5 lights i think there currents prtienskimmer kent ro unit and proberly more than im mentioning for 1500.Italked to him last weekand know i cant get in touch with him I dont have room for the setup but i wanted ro and refugium and was going to sell the rest or store it in my friends garage for when i move in about 6 months

ninjamini

Here were my two tanks that I bought:
$500
It Includes Reef Ready All-glass Aquarium,
Aquatic Pro Clear 75 Gallon Wet Dry,
Rio 3500 Ho Pump,
4 Rio 200 Powerheads ( 138 Gph ),
Gamma 8 Watt Uv Sterilizer,
Aqualight Pro Hqi Lighting System ( 492 Watts )
Extra Set Of Metal Halide Bulbs,
Homemade Wood Stand, Unfinished,
This Is All That Was Included At First For $600, Now I'm Adding The Following.....
100 Lbs Of Figi Live Rock,
80 Lbs Of Live Sand,
Misc Corals,
(1) 3" Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish,
(2) False Perc Clownfish,
(3) Pj Cardinal Fish,
(1) 4" Yellow Tang,
(1) Goldenhead Sleeper Goby,
(1) 4" Blue Throat Triggerfish,
(1) Midas Blenny
(1) Green Chromis
I Also Have Misc Chemicals, Food, And Supplies
$300
55 gallon glass tank with the stand (Oak)
Power compact light 65 x 2 (50/50)
Wet/Dry (Up to 75 gallons)
Protein Skimmer w/pump (Aqua Clear Aquatics for up to 150 gallons)
Coralife Turbo Twist U.V Sterilizer 6x-18watt
3 Powerheads (Marineland 900)
Over 75 lbs of live rock
1 large size green star polyp
2 medium size Zoo’s
1 Medium size blue tang
2 Clown fish
2 Damsels
1 Large turbo Snail
1 peppermint shrimp
1 cleaner shrimp

stanlalee

here's a few bones from my budget 100 gallon series (to be completed....well when its completed). Total budget is $1000 including MH lighting:

and much more to come sooner than later (in my own thread, sorry for jacking). in no way compares to the steal you got anyway.