What do you think this is on my clown?

luvmyfish1

It was suggested that I come here for help in identifying what disease is on my clown. I can't decide between velvet and ich, yet the photos in Beth's sticky at the top of the page signify Brook as well. What do you think?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If this is a new fish to your tank, I'd agree that this is very likely brooklynella. Is the fish killing rapidly?
The treatment is formalin baths, and the procedure is detailed in the FAQ Topic.
If its brooklynella, there is not much time to start treatment.

luvmyfish1

It's not new to the tank, but I recently added a Potter's Angel which I felt succumbed to ich like symptoms. I've had the fish since July, I think.

It looked really bad last night/this morning, but actually looks better now. Really weird.

luvmyfish1

My other clown died shortly after adding the pair to the tank some time this past summer. Am thinking July.
Here are photos of this pretty picasso:

luvmyfish1

See the white fuzzy patches on her? That's what got her I think. I don't remember any dots, just sluggish behavior with white patches.

sepulatian

It is hard to tell if it is Brook or ich. The fish wouldn't have lived with Brook for that long though. It kills quickly. Do you have a cycled quarantine tank to do a copper treatment in?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like brook to me. The other option is a bacterial infection. Is that white pealing at all? Notice very rapid gilling?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3154195
It looks like brook to me. The other option is a bacterial infection. Is that white pealing at all? Notice very rapid gilling?
It does look like Brook, but he has had the fish since July
Thoughts? A bacterial infection is certainly possible. It looks like more than that to me though.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The other fish died before, and brook managed to linger. Its a parasite that does not die off every 3 weeks like ich does. Some sort of stress occurred with the fish, and the fish succumbed.