What do you think??

rhomer

I've been floating around this site for over a year, and I've seen some major problems and major success in my 55 over the past year and 1/2. Last week I noticed water around the base of the tank and decided that there was definatly a leak in the tank and it was on the bottom of the tank.
I discussed this with others and determined that I should go ahead and replace the tank. My wife strongly encouraged me to replace the tank with the exact same size no bigger.;) ;) ;)
I managed to get to the store, and there in the window was an 75/90 oceanic stand that would match my hood perfect, and a reef ready all glass aquarium. The tank was only 65 dollars more than the 55, but I would need a new stand (What to do... what to do....).
I bit the bullet and purchased the 90. I knew that it was going to be a big pain in the butt to make the transfer, and to spend the money and get nothing more (well that just sucks). So after 8 hours of making water unloading the existing tank and transferring everything new over it kicks some serious butt.
I had a hippo tang (first first I purchased for the 55), a mimic tang and a scooter blenny all of them I've had for over a year seem to have made the transition quite well. I have noticed a difference in the hippo's attitude. He seems much more relaxed and tends to just float. He doesn't seem to pace nearly as much.
BTW the wife has forgiven me (oh the favors I'm in debt for....).
Thought I would share.

leigh

tell your wife she's lucky--most of us would use that leak as an excuse to buy a 180 :D
seriously though, glad the transition went well and that you were able to diagnose and fix the problem before it became catastrophic!

rhomer

It was close, as I was moving the 55 I had some water left in the tank, and as I picked it up the water just poured out.

daisy

Wow. Almost makes me want a leak in my tank. But not really.
Actually, I had a similar experience when I was breeding fw angels -- they were in a 20 gallon which experienced an accident with a young child. My prized fish spent an afternoon in a garbage can while I ran out to get a new tank! Amazingly, they survived.