What does a fish only tank consist of

srfisher17

Originally Posted by JDL
http:///forum/post/3000723
looks like you have 2 yellow tail damsels in there. They can be super mean fish which will limit what else you can add to the tank.
I would ditch the damsels so you can add anything you want.
with a 30 octo, did you think about a school of bangaii or pj's? That might look neat.
also, smaller isnt really easier in saltwater, just cheaper. Generally, the bigger the system you have, the easier it is to keep. This is because any fluctuations in a small tank can be deadly, while it takes a much larger fluctuation in a larger tank. And by fluctuation i mean temp changes, human errors, overfeeding, ph changes, water changes, ....
goodluck
I agree with everything; except the cheaper part. If you start small, you'll have to upgrade soon after the addiction takes hold and you'll have 2 of everything. On the plus side; when you upgrade, you'll have everything for a QT.
I'd bet that your lfs sold you the damsels to cycle the tank. If so, please tell them this practice is mean, totally unnecessary, and just plain stupid. If they try to defend it, I'd never shop there again.

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by JDL
http:///forum/post/3000723
looks like you have 2 yellow tail damsels in there. They can be super mean fish which will limit what else you can add to the tank.
goodluck
no they arent and no they wont. They are no less "mean" than clowns. They would be great addition to your tank if you add a pair of clowns. Id get a little bit biggers ones. 1.5 inches to 2 inches. They will get double that size.
If you choose to get rid of the damsels. Id get a Goby or bi color blenny. Add about 15 more pounds of live rock. Stack high and tight against the "back". That way you have some sand showing and a swimming area. Gorgeous set up so far.
Did you cycle the tank with the damsels?

small triggers

looks good so far. Its better to ask questions now and do things right before you get to into it and have to re-buy all the correct stuff. Do you have an LFS close?(though don't always listen to their opinions on what you need and what is right) and just to say there are some great books out there that can help too.