what does it take to get coraline going

option720

i have a 29g with about 15 pounds of lr in it. about two pounds has good purple coraline algea on it. the rest has nothing. i add B-Ionic every day and there is still not growth. do i need more rock that has existing growth on it?
Emile

jacksonpt

Do a search for further info... this topic has been covered quite extensively lately. Basically, you need good water conditions, plenty of lighting, and calcium levels in the range of 500-550ppm. Some people have had luck breaking up a small piece of coraline algae covered rock and spreading it throughout their tank.

sbustobante

High current seems to really work for me. (actually, it's a little unfortunate, the platelike corraline likes to grow over my powerheads, thus making me scrape it off instead of enjoying it.)

nyyanks154

I have read you can lightly brush the existing coralline algae with a toothbrush to release some of the cells. They will settle on the other rocks and "seed" them. Never tried it before, but give it a shot. Also, make sure you have enough snails and other algae eaters in there to clean off your exisiting rock, so light to the new coralline algae wont get blocked by the faster growing greens and browns. Like someone else said, good water quality and high calcium are essential, or nothing will work. Let us know how it goes.

burnnspy

Light does matter.
Calcium 500-550ppm is to high.
Good lights, alkalinity 2.5-5.0 mel, calcium 350-450ppm, S.G 1.023-1.025 and good current flow will do the trick.
BurnNSpy

broomer5

I 2nd BurnNSpy's reply to the letter.
That combination has worked for me.
It does take time .... if you provide favorable conditions as mentioned above, you should see new coralline patches growing on glass, powerheads & LR.
Brian

rhyno36

u can get a rock with coralline on it alreayd and grind it up and disperse it thoroughout the tank and it should grow

paulkai

Emile,
I recently started up a 125g reef and something that really worked well was Marc Weiss Reef DNA. It's moderately expensive ($30 for 16oz) but this stuff is great. As everyone has said, make sure you have good calcium levels and all other conditions are good. After about two weeks with this stuff I had purple coralline growing on my glass and pumps. It's great. Just don't forget to refrigerate.
Paul :D

wuelfman

Calcium 500-550ppm is to high.???????
i have calcium at around 500 with great growth in corals and in general
B-Ionic will not raise levels like you want it too (i have it)
pickling lime $1.29 a pound at walmart (kalwasser is the same thing at$9.99 a pound )will do that
i drip picking lime at night
about two drops a sec
paulkai i have a queston for you
whats in that marc weiss stuff for it to be $30 bucks?

jimi

LOTS OF CURRENT and calcium. Point apowerhead to blow across a coralline covered rock to spread it.Lighting is secondary.

paulkai

Wuelfman-
No idea. I got the stuff for $19.95 from an on-line place. If you go to your lfs they ---- you. Get it on-line. I'd suggest getting it. Just to get your coraline started. It does a bunch of other stuff, too.
Paul

kappadoku

I also will vouch for the Mark Weiss Reef Vital DNA. All of his product are top secret recipes, but the Reef Vital DNA smells like Apricot Jam. But, My corraline is outta control! I went through one 12 ounce bottle of the stuff, and I have corraline on the back of my tank, and then star polyps growing on it! So, I have Live sand, Live rock and even a live acrylic tank!

burnnspy

500ppm+ calcium will cause calcium to comw out of solution in your pumps(causing then to be destroyed) and on your heater(pobbible causing it to overheat and explode).
380-480ppm is more then enough.
BurnNSpy

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Do you think, then, that an excess calcium problem may be the cause of so many melt downs of Rios?

Option,
give it time and you'll be working your butt of to scrape the coraline off of your tank, powerheads, etc. Patience... no need to rush as the day will come when you may investigate means of coraline reduction.
As for the Calcium, I agree with the folks above. I don't know if levels that high can hurt Coraline, but I think it's a little high for the rest of your inhabitants.
Re the RIOs and Calcium.... scary thought.

burnnspy

Beth, yes.
If you check the clearence between the pump rotor and the pump wall, you will find that calcium build up closes that gap causing the pump to seize over time when calcium is too high.
Calcium deposits can be removed with vinegar though.
High level calcium will not harm the tank inhabitants but is not a desireable condition none the less.
BurnNSpy