what does kalk really do?

mujtba

I put kalk in my tank with my evaporated water...
my calcium is about 380-400. I want it to be about 440.
The kalk does not seem to do much.
-So, does kalk MAINTAIN the level of calcium, or does it help to raise it??
-Does it help control PH also?
-My KH is about 7dkh. How do I raise it?
thanks

nater

Originally Posted by mujtba
I put kalk in my tank with my evaporated water...
my calcium is about 380-400. I want it to be about 440.
The kalk does not seem to do much.
-So, does kalk MAINTAIN the level of calcium, or does it help to raise it??
-Does it help control PH also?
-My KH is about 7dkh. How do I raise it?
thanks

Hi Mujtba

I am a relatively new user to Kalk, but I've done quite a bit of research to answer some of the same questions you have so I'll do my best.
Kalk is a saturated solution of calcium hydroxide in water. It's intended to replenish your tank's calcium and alkalinity. When you mix it the clear solution on top is saturated limewater. Depending on the proportions you mixed, you could have either a raised Calcium & Alkalinity level (If you mixed it too strong) or a lower than optimal level of Calcium and Alk (If you mixed it too weak). You want to establish a system, IMO, that your limewater is mixed correctly with regards to your evaporation rate and overall tank consumption of Calcium and Alkalinity. When you get it right, Kalkwasser in top-off water keeps your levels right where you want em each day. This has been the hardest part for me--it does take some time and experimenting to get it right.
The way I handled this was to first figure out how much water my tank evaporated each day and program the dosing pump (a litermiter 3) to dispense it. I then mixed up some Kalkwasser going by their minimum recommended dosage. By monitoring the levels each day I got a better idea of my tank's consumption rate. After about a month and a half I think I've honed in on the mix that keeps my levels where I want em each day.
To raise your levels you could mix some Kalk on the heavy side and dose as usual, or maybe get a 2 part additive like C-Balance to raise it. Once you get them where you want, start doing Kalk to maintain them.
As far as PH, Kalk used as top off does help to raise and maintain a stable PH in your system, in fact dosing it all day like I do is sometimes bad because your tank's PH can climb to high levels. Limewater has a very high PH, and it is sometimes advisable to dose it only at night when your tanks PH lowers naturally. I have had good results dosing all day, and my PH is between 8.13 in the morning to 8.34 after a 11 hr light cycle.
Because alkalinity is the buffering capacity of water, or it's resistance to PH fluctuations, a higher Alk level means your PH will fluctuate less. If you have good Alkalinity and still have a low PH, try opening your house windows to let in fresh air. Typically closed up homes have significantly high CO2 levels--upwards of three times the level outside. This has a very big affect on the PH of your system.
Hope this is useful.

bang guy

Nice summary Nater!
With a moderate evaporation rate and a moderate coral load Kalk will maintain Clacium and Alkalinity.
If you want to raise Calcium you can either use a fan to increase evaporation, oversaturate the Kalk in the topoff water using vinegar, or most people just use a different supplement like Calcium chloride.

nater

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Nice summary Nater!
With a moderate evaporation rate and a moderate coral load Kalk will maintain Clacium and Alkalinity.
If you want to raise Calcium you can either use a fan to increase evaporation, oversaturate the Kalk in the topoff water using vinegar, or most people just use a different supplement like Calcium chloride.

Thanks for the compliment Bang, I would like to add that you're the one I've learned most of this stuff from!!

With that said, you'll have to take it from here, I've got a little reading done on vinegar (enough to know better than to do it right now, at least) and I'm not familiar w/ calcium chloride, mujtba.
Good luck with it though!!!
Nate

bang guy

thanks guys! how does calcium chloride work? add with top off?
Mix a little in some pure water and slowly pour it in.
Also, don't neglect Alkalinity. Baking soda will work for that.
Don't add them close together.

agoutihead

wait so adding baking soda will raise your alk???
is that what im understaing???
if so... how much do you use??
how often do you have to use it??
and how do you mix it?
my dkh is 9.6
and my calcium is 570... i know its high... but it was 700!!
ive been using oceanic and tap water..... im going to switch to instant ocean and start using ro/di water on a regular basis.... i want to buy a machine but cant afford it.... so ill have to settle for picking it up somewhere.

stonynut

1teas baking soda/50gal ^1dkh
under certain mag or Ca conditions, you may not get a full rise of 1dkh out of it due to binding with Ca or Mag.
you add it as often as you need to
once you get Ca to 420ish and dkh to 9ish.. then your kalk drip should be able to keep up. you will wanna evap around 2% of your tank volume to keep up a tank with a healthy coral load.
i have a 75g tank that i set up in feb 05... i started it with kalk and its been running kalk non-stop. i tested it for the first time about 3-4wks ago since it was set up..... Ca 420 dkh 8 .... not bad considering i have done NOTHING else to it to support its chemistry. and this is a 75g softy/lps tank that is loaded.

stonynut

no need for an IV bag... just get a plastic jug with a cap (bigger the better)... drill a tiny hole in the lid to vent it and another hole about 1" above the bottom of the jug to run a fitting into. you will want a fitting that will convert to 1/4" airline tubing (lowes has this stuff... have a look there)... seal the fitting into the jug with some marine goop... let it cure and you are set. get an airline valve from your local fish store... and put it inline on your airline tubing.... turn the valve off... fill the jug with ro water and add 1 teas kalk/gal in the jug... slowly open the airline valve and let it drip... try to regulate it to match your evaporation rate (will take some experimentation)

mujtba

you can also put kalk with your top off water.... seems to be the easiest way..
also, what levels should the ALK and CALC be close to?

stonynut

putting it in with your top off water.... thats what the drip method does... or are you talking about making up a gallon of kalkwater and dumping it all at once? dumping it in all at once is ok as long as you can monitor your pH in real time and dont already have high dkh.
Ca-dkh.... most shoot for Ca:400-450 and dkh 8-11

mujtba

ya i dont usually drip it in. i have an automatic water top off system... the bucket is 3 gallons.. i just add like 3 teaspoons of kalk in it and it comes into the tank about 1/2 gallon at a time when it fills up...

bang guy

ya i dont usually drip it in. i have an automatic water top off system... the bucket is 3 gallons.. i just add like 3 teaspoons of kalk in it and it comes into the tank about 1/2 gallon at a time when it fills up...
Be very careful with that method. If the limewater uses up all available CO2 you could have problems.

mujtba

isn't CO2 bad for the tank?
i have been doing this method for about 4 months now.. seems okay.. only problem is i have to raise my calc and alk using some of the methods you mentioned..
quick question... i have RICORDIAS that just dont seem to grow for the past year.. do they need anything special?