What eats brown algae?

kyarnkid

I have brown algae all over my tank and I was wondering what should I have to eat it?
Turbo snail or Hermit crabs
Thanks

fshhub

i like turbos and trochus, trochus are a little more money, but can upright themselves if need be, (since turbos can't, they basically drown when flipped)
IMO, i really don't want any crabs, not that they aren't a good thing, we just prefer not to have any
HTH

thor

i would consider snails instead of hermits but both will eat the algae its just preference

mlm

I like the snails also. Go with the trouchus. In my experience they do not die as easily as the turbos.

vkesu

I have about 25 scarlet reef hermits in my 72 gallon reef. I really like the way they clean, and I have never had any problem w/them and my corals. During a "bad algae" time, they even cleaned off a toadstool leather and he opened up immediately after being cleaned! The leather actually bent upwards showing the algae underneath so the hermit began cleaning there also. It was amazing to see! I like the scarlet reefs!! Is there a reason people shy from these? :confused:

fshhub

never noticed before, vke, thanks, but you are right, the truchus seem to go no the galss an rock much more , maybe just cross teh sand or hit what hey do whenthey are next to the sand, but hey do not seem to hit it as hard as the rock and glass

beecher

Is your tank cycled? If you have diatoms, your tank may still be cycling and in that case you shouldnt add inverts quite yet. The diatoms will go away on their own.

fshhub

trocjus are about 1 to 1-1/2 inch, not real large, and they are cool to watch, when they go across the glass, you can see their mouths, and they leave behind chattermarks, where they were, what i really like about them is that they can upright themselves and their shells get covered in coraline, so pretty

fshhub

turbos, mex or carribean, cannnot flip themselves over, if they fallon their backs, and eventually drown, trochus can, trochus are just a little bit larger(IMO, i think), and thre are some other differences i am sure, but those are the biggest 2 concerns for our hobby, plus trochus are @ 4-5$ ea, turbos here are @1/2 that
HTH