What else do I need before my wife makes me sell my tank?

Weatherboy

Yeah, she's frustrated. I told her I was a noob. I torched both my urchins, both my shrimp, half the CUC along with most of my corline algae while trying to make my tank clear.

So I now have 2 Marineland 350s and a corilife turbo twist 3x with a brand new bulb and 2 new powerheads on my 75 gal to try and clear my tank. Its better after a couple days. Plus adding Prime daily as instructed.

What else do I need for a FOWLR?

Wife is asking me to sell it.

Torn.

Thanks for everyone's help!

jay0705

Lol patients. Your trying to do too much too fast. Nothing good happens fast in sw. Your tank will clear up just stop changing stuff. Hands off!!!! Do nothing except maybe a 5-10 gal water change ever 2 weeks

lmforbis

The one more thing you need is time and patience, oops that's 2 related though. It takes a good 6 months or more for a tank to begin to stabilize. Maybe a year before things start to run smoothly.

Weatherboy

Okay. Been 4 months. You answered my question on how long to wait!

So...should I wait another 2 months before I add more shrimp, extra CUC or urchin?

Hope my coraline come back too.

One final question. My Majano worms are all hidden ant won't come out. Not a huge deal, but told that's sometimes a sign of bad water?
All my test are cool.

Last edited:

beaslbob

first of all stop using prime. It locks ammonia sure but also locks up oxygen. Plus most ammonia test kits still test positive form ammonia (can't tell the difference between free and locked), so you can add more prime when It is not necessary. the first dose locked up the ammonia for instance. Then the following doses locked up more and more oxygen so that live stock could die from suffocation with the same symptoms as ammonia.

Try adding macro algae and get them going. At least you will have some nice flowing plant like stuff. Best behind a partition with added side lights. To keep the macros and livestock separated. Various caulperas are a good choice with prolifera an easy one.

Also try using an inexpensive molly as the first fish. With a 75 gallon ~5 males would be a good start. and don't add food for the first week. They will eat nuisance algaes and pods on the macros. And generally clean up the tank as well.

Once you get the mollies to live for a few weeks then try the more expensive marine only fish.

Weatherboy

Thanks!
I've actually had 2 yellow belly damsels
2 cromies & 2 clowns for about two months.Clowns for a month.

I'll ease on prime.

I'll look into macro algae. Maybe the LFS has some.

Thanks.

beaslbob

Thanks!
I've actually had 2 yellow belly damsels
2 cromies & 2 clowns for about two months.Clowns for a month.

I'll ease on prime.

I'll look into macro algae. Maybe the LFS has some.

Thanks.
SWF has some.

Gulf coast has a variety.

Florida aqua farms has a few.

Florida pets has some also.

That all said, the best source is local like your lfs and even more importantly is fellow hobbyists. No doubt they are tossing some each month. So you can get some that otherwise would go in the trash.

my .02

jay0705

I agree. Iam on a local fb forum guys are always looking for people who want cheato. Personally i like graccilla and caluperta. But its bc my fish prefer to eat those