What equipment do I need for a setup with the least amount of maintenence?

A

abefroman

What equipment do I need for a setup with the least amount of maintenence?
Say if I go on vacation for 2 weeks, the fish will still be alright.

fishygurl

first of all if you go on vacation for 2 weeks u will need someone to look after your tank... (feeding, making sure the water is fine, etc.)
normal stuff u will need are a sump, skimmer, heaters, powerheads, refugium (is a very good investment if u plan on going reef), lights (good ones if u plan on going reef) and im sure there are others i am forgetting..

lexluethar

No real way to setup something that would be totally self sufficient for two weeks. You could go no fish, and just have corals. In that case you could go two weeks if you had something automatically topping off your tank.
Otherwise have someone feed your fish.

mike15

If you want your tank to stay mostly self-sufficient for 2 weeks you will need timers for the lights, good filtration, a top off system, possibly a chiller (if the house gets hot), and an automatic feeder system.
I had all of those and my tank was fine over my 2 week vacation. However, I had 2 neighbors and a friend (fish expert) occasionally check in every couple days to clean the glass/ reset the timers in the even of power outages/ check for problems. Also, its a good idea to do a water change a day or two before you leave.
It can be done but as I said, if you plan to go on a long vacation, get someone you trust to keep an eye on everything and leave contact info in the unlikely event of a major problem.

wangotango

If you've got an ATO, automatic feeder, and temperature control, then it should be fine for two weeks, but not long term as every tank needs maintanance.
IMO you'd still want someone to at least check up on things. A dead fish left in the tank for two weeks would be a problem.
-Justin

sharkbyte

It can be done, I have a 90g, I went away for 15 days with an ATO and auto feeder. and lights on timers. I had a friend check my tank 2-3 times during my vacation. The only problem having a someone who knows nothing about tanks checking on the tank, is if something happens they will not know what to do.