What ever happened to being responsible?

dive girl

I mean, come on!
If you walk into a store and want to purchase something, shouldn't it be your responsibility to know what you are buying?
Ask all the questions you want but it is YOUR money, YOUR time, and YOUR decision. If you didn't do the research and made an impulse buy you have no one to blame but YOURSELF.
Most of the LFS that I go to have a store copy of some sort of reference book if I see something cool that I'm not sure what it or its needs are. If not, they usually have some book for sale that I can look through. Worse case, I have to go home and look it up!!!

If you are old enough to make a decision on what LIVING CREATURE to purchase, then you are freaking old enough to do your own research to make an informed decision. Oh, and if you think I'm talking to you; then you have access to a computer and should have looked the darn animal/coral up in the first place.
Suck it up and take responsibility but don't blame anyone else for what you didn't do.

pezenfuego

Kinda harsh...
Local Fish Stores can get a bad rep for selling things to people like this...but they are a business not a babysitter. They don't have the obligation to care for your tank, you do.
Good point, a little harsh though

dive girl

[debating if I really am sorry before I apologize]
Okay, I meant what I said. It was harsh.... but I'm not sorry. It's a living creature not an unfeeling rock. As adults we should have learned to take responsibility for our actions long ago.
BTW, I'm not saying that I haven't made mistakes. Quite the contrary, but I just try and own up to them and not blame others for MY mistakes. No one is perfect, we are all going to make mistakes but part of being an adult is learning to be responsible for our actions and that what we do may have a direct effect, be it positive or negative, on something or someone else.

pezenfuego

Maybe it needed to be harsh. I wasn't trying to make you feel obligated to be sorry about it
Some good points and I for the most part agree. It makes me sick to see people ask really basic saltwater questions to someone in the store and then turn around and start buying livestock. I don't get it. This isn't a hobby to rush into. I will actually recommend this site to people in the store that are just getting started. Sometimes I wonder if any join...