what exactly is a ballast?

beenbag497

I know it's a stupid question, but i'm selling my coralife 150 mh and someobdy asked me if it had one and honestly have no idea! Any ideas?

E

eric b 125

it is what powers the light. there are internal and external ballasts. the external ballasts are usually metal boxes that plug into the wall, then your light plugs into the ballast

E

eric b 125

they arent terribly big, but they can be pretty heavy, especially if they're magnetic ballasts. but yes, that's a ballast my man

calbert0

from what i understand......
Ballast' regulate the current so it is stable and constant because the metal halide bulb needs a steady and exact voltage to run.

scsinet

Originally Posted by calbert0
http:///forum/post/3189896
from what i understand......
Ballast' regulate the current so it is stable and constant because the metal halide bulb needs a steady and exact voltage to run.
This is correct. Ballasts also limit the current, and assist in igniting it by providing the voltage pulse necessary to strike the arc. If a ballast were not present, the lamp would destroy itself because the amount of current coming from a wall outlet is basically unlimited.
The short answer to the OP's seller is that if he has a MH light that is fully functional, then there is a ballast included in there someplace.