What first got you into aquariums

willie

hola! Im @ work not wanting to get started on a big pile of blah. What better way to avoid it then by getting to know you guys better.
I was 8 or 9 and I wanted a puppy, my dad told me to prove I could care for a pet first and got me a 20 gallon tank. I had the shipwreck ornament in it that opens and closes with air and a big pleco named kirby. I was instantly hooked and have had at least 1 tank going sometimes 3 or 4 ever since.

I have always loved fish I when I was 10 my mother bought me a 20 gallon tank. I took care of everything I only had gold fish. I loved my tank I had it till about 16 years old. Now years later I have a son and want him to have the same experise. so I decided to get a salt water tank. My son is only 3 and he always wants me to take him to the fish store. Hes always there with me to do water changes some time he can't do something and he gets mad at me or when I go to the store by my self he gets mad.

mr. limpid

I was 20, while visiting my girl friends nephews I needed something to entertain them. I noticed a empty fish tank and thought this was going to be there project. I was hooked ever since.

S

saxman

I've been around the hobby literally all my life. My dad was an avid hobbyist back in the old days of iron-framed, putty-sealed tanks, where lots of equipment was DIY'd. My pop said I was rolling off binomial names from the time I could speak. Back then the SW hobby was practically non existent, and a SW tank was specially made with the glass extending above the top frame of the tank so any corrosion wouldn't drop into the tank.
I'm no longer a "freshie", and have been doing SW for about 22 years.

travelerjp98

My first tank was when I was 4, and it was goldfish.... that tank lasted for about 1/2 a year.... but it wasn't the tank that got me in the hobby. The one that really got me in the hobby was the one that I got 3 years ago and still have today.... family was moving... and had the tank... so they gave it to me

snakeblitz33

I had a 30g freshwater tank growing up. Then I moved up to a 55g freshwater tank. When I went to visit a buddy of mine , his dad had a few saltwater tanks. He fed his anemone in front of me, and ever since then I was hooked. I've been in the hobby for six years now- exclusively saltwater.

S

smallreef

My High School science teacher had a tank with 3 lionfish in them!!! Mr. Roth was an interesting teacher but he loved marine fish...
(though the kids that tried to feed them skittles kinda made a rainbow in the tank)

A

adam57

My dad had a tank when i was about 12 and I would go to the LFS with him and I would tell him to get a fish that i liked and he never would. He finally got sick of me bugging him to get certian fish and got me my own tank and told me to shut up and get my own fish.

willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam57 http:///t/389360/what-first-got-you-into-aquariums#post_3440981
My dad had a tank when i was about 12 and I would go to the LFS with him and I would tell him to get a fish that i liked and he never would. He finally got sick of me bugging him to get certian fish and got me my own tank and told me to shut up and get my own fish.
LOL That is funny, My dad ended up getting me a tank of my own to because I kept getting cichlids and they ate my brothers tetras.

kiefers

Well rather embarrassing really. Lol..... a bottle of Tequilla and a couple of chicks. Man it was tight in there.
( I.Q. test and ya'll failed Lol..)

tirtza

I fell in love with the ocean after watching the 1984 film Splash staring Daryl Hannah. After seeing that movie I wanted to be a mermaid, but when my mom told me that would be impossible I insisted on at least having a small freshwater aquarium. Fast forward a few decades and now I have 'Moby' the Betta (he lives in a fishbowl). I started my first 29 gallon SW aquarium at the end of this summer. I've officially been in the SWF hobby for almost 5 months :)