What fish are good fish to start with

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by NEreef
of course. has this been shown to affect tanks?
No, cyanide cannot spread to other inhabitants in your tank if it is not dosed in your tank, just the fish who have it will be affected I believe.

N

nereef

long-term affects that cause chronic stress? i can't imagine catching any fish in open water. hey, one more will make you MR. 3000! lol.

lion_crazz

long-term affects that cause chronic stress? i can't imagine catching any fish in open water. hey, one more will make you MR. 3000! lol.
Haha

There really are not long term affects of cyanide because they kill a fish relatively quick. Usually it causes the fish not to be able to eat and digest food, which leads to starvation. Most times, a cyanided fish is not even interested in food. This is a main reason why I tell everyone to make sure they see the lionfish eat before they take it home. Even if it is only eating ghost shrimp, at least the buyer knows that it is most likely not a cyanide-caught fish.

N

nereef

i see. always a good idea to see your fish eat before you take it home, but i have never heard of the cyanide side of the story. interesting.
hey, way to go "Bernie."

zsalinas

I've got a question. How do they manage to catch the fish open water? Some of the fish are way fast even just in my tank how do they manage to catch them?

lion_crazz

i see. always a good idea to see your fish eat before you take it home, but i have never heard of the cyanide side of the story. interesting.
hey, way to go "Bernie."
Oh, "Bernie" as in Bermic Mac.. I understand lol.
Bob Fenner will also offer the same insight on the topic:
"Cyanided organisms typically die a horrible death, immediately....The suggestions offered in I will stand by; holding onto stock and demonstrating that it is feeding discloses almost all doomed cyanide cases." (Credit: Wet Web Media)

N

nereef

great web site. i have found info on just about any question i have ever had from there.

lion_crazz

great web site. i have found info on just about any question i have ever had from there.
I definitely agree.

unleashed

well heres the list of fish i started with remember i was completly new to the hobby and was well informed by our local petland lol

I had my tank stocked with fish 2 weeks after setting up ( do not try this at home )
125 6 ft long glass tank
2-3 inches of cc
20 lbs of LR(washed well with fw
)
30 lbs of dead rock(dried up at that)also washed and scrubbed with fw)
2 handfulls of cc from the LFS to help the cycle
now the fish i started with perty little colorful damsels
2 dominos
2 4 striped
2 3 striped
2 blue devils
2 yellow tailed blue damsels
scooter blenny
green serpant star
2 sand sifting stars(mind you I had cc)
a horseshoe crab
flame scallop
1 fire goby
tons of snails and hermits(no algae yet)
now of all these the only thing that survived were the damsels until they killed each other of slowly through out the yrs my last yellow tail just passed away last week he was was eaten by something he was 4 yrs old.if you buy damsels dont mix them do your research befor listening to your LFS i learned the hard way but managed to work out the bugs
I would never recomend anyone starting a tank this way.
gotta love the proffesionalism of some pet stores.

maintman02

Thanks guys for all the info, I also asked my local lfs and bought some green chromis(8) and man are they cool to watch swim around the tank. I also just bought a blue hippo tang, cleaner shrinp (peppermint shrimp I think) they are pretty cool.

garnet13aj

For future reference, you should wait 2 weeks in between buying new fish in order to let the first ones settle in, make sure they don't have diseases, etc. But I'm glad you like the fish you've got so far :)

S

surfinusa

Originally Posted by maintman02
Thanks guys for all the info, I also asked my local lfs and bought some green chromis(8) and man are they cool to watch swim around the tank. I also just bought a blue hippo tang, cleaner shrinp (peppermint shrimp I think) they are pretty cool.
i bet they look really cool you made some nice choices