What fish/inverts to stay away from?

johnnysalt

Will add more animals in another month of so, in general which fish and/or inverts do you always "steer clear of" and why?
This question is not only for me, but others who are unaware that they can't dump anything in their tank they want! :)
Ex: I know from experience to stay away from any starfish with knobs (chocolate chip, etc) as they are totally carnivorous.
Give us your opinions...Thanks you guys! :cool:

mithrax

Well, the one thing I would stay away from is goniopora because they are extremely difficult to keep in captivity. Though I like them very much. If I can't keep them alive then they're better off in the sea where they will be happy

burnnspy

Gorgians(special feeder)
Goniporas(almost impossible to keep alive)
Mandarin fish(special feeder)
Maxima and Crocea clams(MH lights required)
Cucumbers(most are toxic to other inverts)
Nudibranchs(special feeder)
Sea Horses(special feeder)
Pipefish(special feeder)
Sponges(special feeder)
Scallops(special feeder,reef damage)
Arrow crab(cleanup crew predator)
Organ Pipe coral(usually self destructs)
Sun coral(special feeder)
Octopi(special tank requirements)
Did I miss anything?
BurnNSpy

sbustobante

Blue Devil Damsels!! Actually, they are great in a reef by themselves, but if you ever change your mind, hoo boy watchout!!
Mine would attack ANYTHING new placed in the tank, snails, crabs, corals, ANYTHING! I spent a good four hours this weekend ripping apart the reef so I could get the little bugger out.

bayouguy

What is a blue devil damsel? I have a small blue damsel with a yellow tail - is this the guy you're talking about?

sbustobante

Blue Devil Damsels are all blue, with a black spot on their back. The yellow tails can also get kinda mean, I've heard. Damsels can just have bad attitudes, and they are well nigh impossible to get out if you decide you don't want them anymore - that's why they are on my list.
Mine never did any damage, but I couldn't put any other fish in the tank cause he was so territorial.
He would bite and slap with his tail any new addition to the tank. Kinda funny to watch him try to beat up a snail - it reminded me of olde tyme feuds between gentlemen, where one would slap another with a glove. The snail didn't even know he was there!

fishfreek

Has anyone tried adding a blue devil later on, say one of the last fish added to the tank? I like the look of this fish and just was wondering if this would make a differance in in its agression.

salth2o

The only good damsel is NO damsel. I made the 'big rookie' mistake 9 months ago and added 3 to make my tank cycle faster - bad move. Now I can't catch them! Taking rock out of that tank is not an option. They are highly territorial and actually attacked a 3" sabae clown as a 'pack' and killed him.
I can't wait till the little buggers die! :mad:

louie

Stay away from Bicolor Angel's they will pick at coral and when big enough they will eventually eat your coral. Also Pistol Shrimps will cut finger leathers and they make to much noise popping that claw. :eek: