What 'fish' is this?

mrscarface

Ok i dont have a pic but i saw them in a store and want to know what they are (didnt care when i saw them cause i didnt have a sand bottom at the time).
So anyway they were these snake looking things that would stick straight up out of the sand and go down into and and then back up and straight out. The were thinner than a straw and pretty short (atleast what came out of the sand.
Man they looked cool.

B

bonita69

Originally Posted by MrScarface
Ok i dont have a pic but i saw them in a store and want to know what they are (didnt care when i saw them cause i didnt have a sand bottom at the time).
So anyway they were these snake looking things that would stick straight up out of the sand and go down into and and then back up and straight out. The were thinner than a straw and pretty short (atleast what came out of the sand.
Man they looked cool.
What color where they? what did the head look like?

aw2x3

If their burrows were located under rocks, in the sand, etc. then we could vote for some type of Jawfish, etc.
He's saying they were poking straight up out of the sand and were "snake like".
I'm voting Garden Eel...(Heteroconger hassi)...here's a pic:

aw2x3

I've never heard of Ribbon Eel burrowing in the sand...and, he also said "thinner than a straw".

mrscarface

Originally Posted by AW2x3
If their burrows were located under rocks, in the sand, etc. then we could vote for some type of Jawfish, etc.
He's saying they were poking straight up out of the sand and were "snake like".
I'm voting Garden Eel...(Heteroconger hassi)...here's a pic:

BINGO! You got it.... So are these hard to keep? Anything they cant be kept with?

aw2x3

BINGO! You got it.... So are these hard to keep? Anything they cant be kept with?

Extremely hard to keep...require a species only tank, to do best.
Requires 8" - 10" deep sand bed, very high flow, communal species (will need 5+) and absolutely no nit-picky tankmates...no dwarf puffers, lions, wrasse, etc. They're very, very unforgiving with tankmates that harass/pick on them.

mrscarface

55 Gallon, with maybe 3-4 inches on sand and as for tank mates i have 2 horseshoe crabs, a bunch of turbo snails, cleaner shimp, 2 3 stripe damsels, a clown, and a lunar wrasse.
Is that all you wanted to know?

mrscarface

Originally Posted by AW2x3
Extremely hard to keep...require a species only tank, to do best.
Requires 8" - 10" deep sand bed, very high flow, communal species (will need 5+) and absolutely no nit-picky tankmates...no dwarf puffers, lions, wrasse, etc. They're very, very unforgiving with tankmates that harass/pick on them.
Lol.... and you ruined my chances....

mrscarface

Originally Posted by team2jndd
I wouldnt have gone for the horseshoe crabs either. JMO.
Why? just out of curiosity?

maelv

Why? just out of curiosity?
Man, those things get about as big as a Cadillac (the horse shoe crab)...ha ha ha ha....Will definitely outgrow a 55 gallon
I wanted one of those Garden Eels....this is what I ran out and found on a website......they do look cool...

[hr]
Family: Congridae
Range: Indo-Pacific
Size: Up to 14 inches
Diet: Carnivore
Tank Set-up: Marine: Sand; minimum amount of coral, rock, plants
Reef Compatible: No
Tank Conditions: 72-78ºF; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4
Minimum Tank Capacity: 100 gallon
Light: High
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Swimming Level: Bottom
Care Level: Experts only
Reproduction: Egg Layer

[hr]
The Hass's Garden Eel, also known as Garden Eel, looks like a colony of seagrass.
The main portion of the Hass's Garden Eel is usually buried in the sand, and if approached, retreats into the substrate. Several of these eels may be kept together in a 100 gallon or larger aquarium with at least 6 inches of sand, a gentle current, and without aggressive tank mates. Decor should be kept at a minimum. A tight-fitting lid on the tank is required to prevent escape.
The Hass's Garden Eel diet consists of meaty foods and live foods such as grass shrimp or small feeder fish.