What fish tank should I buy?

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/2775576
what a beautiful tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks dude!
My goniopora isn't open in the FTS because the lights just went on but when it opens it's so beautiful... it's like a white/green with bright blue mouths... awesome looking under actinics. I got it for $10 from a friend who had a fish start taking chunks out of it. You can see where it was bitten by the dark spots on the rock. It's in the front next to the brain coral.

nissan577

yea. well great deal lol. but your tank is amazing. um one question: i wanna buy this light for my 29g bio cube. will it do good?
1 X 150 HQI Metal Halide
2X 24 Watt T5 HO
15k Metal Halide bulb included!
2- 24 watt Super Actinic T5 HO bulbs included!
Ice Cool fans built in
Unit comes with 2 switches so you can independently control the metal halide and T5 bulb separately for the dawn and dusk effect.
Unit comes with modifiable 5'' Tall Leg Brackets to keep safe distance from the water in your aquarium.
Unit also comes with the optional hanging brackets – so if you would like to hang this light from your ceiling you can.
UV shield included over metal halide HQI bulb to prevent harmful UV Rays from entering tank.
Ballast and bulbs included

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by ddiaz386
http:///forum/post/2775587
REALLY NICE TANK!

Yeah you should get one dude! I've been thinking of re-arranging the rock so there's a canyon in the middle. It's totally possible to achieve this because of the depth.
I used to have 3 tanks set up and a 4th torn down in the garage. When I lost my job, I sold everything except for this one... It's big enough to handle a single very small tang, and deep enough to look good with corals. The lights can keep most of my corals happy, and it still runs cool enough to keep without a chiller... and the powerbill isn't very high at all!
I think it's a perfect tank to have. You can always upgrade, and you will when you get more into the hobby.
To give an idea of how into this hobby I was, I used to have a 14g in my bathroom. I know. It was bad.

yearofthenick

http:///forum/post/2775590
yea. well great deal lol. but your tank is amazing. um one question: i wanna buy this light for my 29g bio cube. will it do good?
1 X 150 HQI Metal Halide
2X 24 Watt T5 HO
15k Metal Halide bulb included!
2- 24 watt Super Actinic T5 HO bulbs included!
Ice Cool fans built in
Unit comes with 2 switches so you can independently control the metal halide and T5 bulb separately for the dawn and dusk effect.
Unit comes with modifiable 5'' Tall Leg Brackets to keep safe distance from the water in your aquarium.
Unit also comes with the optional hanging brackets – so if you would like to hang this light from your ceiling you can.
UV shield included over metal halide HQI bulb to prevent harmful UV Rays from entering tank.
Ballast and bulbs included
Sounds good but you should really watch the temp... even with fan-cooled MH systems, you might still get a temp spike.

nissan577

well its not a closed hood. its like the orbits ones. 5 inches high. but ima put a high power fan on the water. so its good for lps, sps, and clams?

yearofthenick

http:///forum/post/2775592
dont really know what a sump is?

this is one of the reasons why a Red Sea Max is good. It lets you get into the hobby right away by being a plug-and-play system... everything is built in. If you went with a larger tank, you'd have to get all of the components separately, and there's a lot of debate on how to execute this. You'd need to figure out wether to do bio-balls or Live rock. Also, Carbon? No Carbon? Skimmer or not? Refugium or not? How much water flow? How much light? That's why my first tank was a Red Sea Max. It does an excellent job of keeping the water clean, and really takes a lot of the guess-work out of SW fishkeeping.

yearofthenick

http:///forum/post/2775606
well its not a closed hood. its like the orbits ones. 5 inches high. but ima put a high power fan on the water. so its good for lps, sps, and clams?
Yeah dude with a 150 MH and T5 supplement in a 29g, you can keep literally anything in there.

yearofthenick

http:///forum/post/2775606
Also, keep in mind that with an open hood and fan on the waterline, you're going to get a fair amount of evaporation... not sure how much, but keep RO water handy just in case you have a problem with levels.

stdreb27

keep in mind that the hippo will get over 12 inches long. And shouldn't be in that small of a tank, for any extended period of time.

ddiaz386

Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/post/2775598
Yeah you should get one dude! I've been thinking of re-arranging the rock so there's a canyon in the middle. It's totally possible to achieve this because of the depth.
I used to have 3 tanks set up and a 4th torn down in the garage. When I lost my job, I sold everything except for this one... It's big enough to handle a single very small tang, and deep enough to look good with corals. The lights can keep most of my corals happy, and it still runs cool enough to keep without a chiller... and the powerbill isn't very high at all!
I think it's a perfect tank to have. You can always upgrade, and you will when you get more into the hobby.
To give an idea of how into this hobby I was, I used to have a 14g in my bathroom. I know. It was bad.
lol so its between a 34g and a 75 g?

ddiaz386

Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/post/2775610
this is one of the reasons why a Red Sea Max is good. It lets you get into the hobby right away by being a plug-and-play system... everything is built in. If you went with a larger tank, you'd have to get all of the components separately, and there's a lot of debate on how to execute this. You'd need to figure out wether to do bio-balls or Live rock. Also, Carbon? No Carbon? Skimmer or not? Refugium or not? How much water flow? How much light? That's why my first tank was a Red Sea Max. It does an excellent job of keeping the water clean, and really takes a lot of the guess-work out of SW fishkeeping.
how bout nissans 75g tank, will that be a good tank for my reef and tang?

nissan577

yes it would but you have to buy another light. but its 75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! many fish

yearofthenick

http:///forum/post/2775670
how bout nissans 75g tank, will that be a good tank for my reef and tang?
Keep in mind that getting a used tank means it might need some maintenance and replacement of a few things soon... which could easily amount to much more than it would cost you with a Red Sea Max (RSM). Personally I would not buy Nissan's tank... sorry nissan! I don't mean to sour the deal or anything but it's worth it to spend a little more on something you know will be reliable.
I've seen his description of the tank in the other thread, and here are a few concerns I have:
1. the tank has been up for 2-3 years... if you go to check out the tank, you REALLY NEED to check the seals in the aquarium... the last thing you want is a water leak in your tank. I have NEVER purchased a used tank for that very reason... I want to know the entire history of my tanks.... when you buy used, you never know if it went through an earthquake or got hit a few times or whatever... you never know until it's too late. I want to be sure I'm not going to come home one day to a swimming pool for a living room. This has happened to a number people on this forum. Also, if the tank has been up for 2-3 years, the furniture (stand and hood) must have encountered some kind of water damage over those years. That's another thing I would check for.
2. The protein skimmer is TINY for that size tank. You would definitely want to get a new skimmer at least twice the size.
3. He said the powerheads aren't included which makes it useless, and to get good powerheads for that tank will cost you at least $200 new... easily more.
4. The tank has crashed recently. I would really really really want to know why. Too many fish? not enough flow? Poor maintenance? What was it??? When a tank crashes, everything inside it dies. That's never a good thing.
5. It had bio-balls in the sump. I'm just not a fan of bio-balls. It's a thing of the 80's and 90's... we've developed much more efficient means of filtration since then.
6. He never said anything about lighting. Also, 2 year old lights will definitely need replacement.
To be honest, I'd still get the RSM because you're starting out brand new to the hobby... The RSM is an idiot-proof system and you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it without dealing with constant issues... a LOT could go wrong if you bought nissan's tank. If you do purchase nissan's tank, be prepared to take the risk for used equipment and an uncertain tank history with the chance of spending a lot more money to fix unforseen issues.