what fish

honey

Hi everyone,,,Just got a 55 gallon saltwater tank and had now for 4 weeks..I bought 1 damsel a week ago and 2 more this week. The lady at the fish store said I had to wait until my tank is 3 months to add more. Any ideas on this and what fish should I get...Thanks for any help on this
Honey

reef_magic

WELCOME

hi, those damsels u got will prolly bully the other fish u buy (what type of damsels?)
some other good beginner fish to add may include:
a pair of clowns (fun to watch)
firefish (really pretty)
6 line wrasse (very active)
yellow watchman goby (i love mine)
royal gramma (pretty but can be shy)
bangaii/pajama cardinal (really cool looking)

clint_reno

I am curious as to why you would have to wait 3 months before you add more fish. Also, damsels are pretty, but can be mean. They have been known to chew on other fish.
I recommend you start monitoring you water, and test your levels. You should consider not keeping the damsels. And you may want to consider getting a small 10g QT tank.
Welcome to the board, and best wishes towards a great hobby.

reef_magic

i think its a good idea for her to wait 3 months. forst of all her tank is really new and needs to still cycle and very slowly start adding to the bio load.....ur on the right track honey:yes:

honey

Reef...I have a black domino damsel and other 2 are same but not sure what kind...bright blue with yellow tail. Thanks for the ideas on fish. This is all so new and I'm trying to learn as much as possible.
Clint...the lady at the store said that my tank needs to recycle and probably at about 3 month would stabilize out. So you wouldn't try to go with other aggressive fish and keep your damsels? What do people do with them because its the number 1 fish to buy on starting up tank? I wonder if the fish store will take them if I decide to not keep?

barry cuda

Often they will...depends on the store. You may just have to give them away, but someone will probably take them off your hands. Check and see if there's a local aquarium club or association in your area. My local group (Marine Aquarium Assoc of S. Texas) has a lot of actively trading members, with equipment, fish and frags changing hands all the time. Someone will probably want them if you decide they need to go.