What form of garlic for food?

paul p

I have been feeding my fish mysis and flakes. Have been seeing that some are feeding garlic....is this fresh and chopped or what? And where do you buy squid?

socal57che

There was a big discussion a while back and after Scuba and I dug around it was concluded that the only way to introduce allicin to your fish is by using the juice/oil from freshly squeezed/crushed garlic. The allicin degenerates quickly and is only potent for a short while and processing the garlic increases the degeneration to a point of being nearly nonexistant. I think Beth moved it to the archives.

mikeyjer

I must of missed that posting back then. I have always backup the garlic issue cause it always worked for me, I'm glad to hear so many others that's backing it up now!!! Especially what ScubaDoo posted, I've read the samething when I first begin using garlic. :happyfish

schneidts

Originally Posted by oreo12
Dont waits your time dont work wont work
Why do you think that? Can you elaborate?

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by oreo12
Dont waits your time dont work wont work
It is NOT a waste of time and it DOES work!!! I've used it before when my fish had ich and it works every single time. I've tried the chemical methods, I DO NOT like'em. This has been a proven method for me.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There is a detailed post in the Disease Forum in the thread that is "stickied" at the top of the that forum titled FAQ.

O

oreo12

I tried using it back a year or so ago I Had ich in my tank the fish did not eat any difrent with there food soacked in that stinking cr p than they did just puting the food in there it did nothing to save a puffer that had ich. All I got was a stunk up house Good luck

merredeth

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
It is NOT a waste of time and it DOES work!!! I've used it before when my fish had ich and it works every single time. I've tried the chemical methods, I DO NOT like'em. This has been a proven method for me.

I agree 100%. Garlic is a proven immunity booster and feeding it to fish do help a long with hypo does wonders!
My one experience with ich wasn't one that I want to revisit. While it wasn't as bad as it could have been, soaking the food in garlic helped the fish fight it off.
I now use garlic all the time for prevention - but then I also use a UV, and there is great debate about. The UV has prevented problems in my opinion.
Denise M.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Merredeth
I agree 100%. Garlic is a proven immunity booster and feeding it to fish do help a long with hypo does wonders!
My one experience with ich wasn't one that I want to revisit. While it wasn't as bad as it could have been, soaking the food in garlic helped the fish fight it off.
I now use garlic all the time for prevention - but then I also use a UV, and there is great debate about. The UV has prevented problems in my opinion.
Denise M.

I use garlic all the time myself. It's worked wonders for me!!! :happyfish

jhebi

Originally Posted by Merredeth
Denise M.

Ditto.....Agree 101%......

milomlo

I use garlic all the time as well. But I usually use Garlic Xtreme. Are you guys saying that is not good. To just use fresh right before you serve? I also put fresh in my home made mixture - but I make a big batch and freeze it. So does that not work as well either??

merredeth

Originally Posted by milomlo
I use garlic all the time as well. But I usually use Garlic Xtreme. Are you guys saying that is not good. To just use fresh right before you serve? I also put fresh in my home made mixture - but I make a big batch and freeze it. So does that not work as well either??
The best thing is fresh prior to serving and let the food soak in the fresh garlic juices for 1/2 hour then feeding.
However, Garlic Extreme and Garlic Guard work well. I alternate between bottles of both and soak the food for 1/2 an hour before feeding the fish.
I'm not sure freezing your mixture is good or bad for the fish though when it comes to keeping garlic effective.
Denise M.