What goes in first in a new tank? Sand or LR?

vwbortoni

I'm setting up my new 55 gal. I was wondering what should go in first: sand or rocks?
I've heard that it should be the rocks and then the sand so as not to get any dead spots. I was going to go with this but a lady at the LFS said to put the sand first as it would help me to more easily aquascape as the rocks could be wedged into the sand and allow odd-shaped rocks balance.
What should I do?

derrikd

i would put in the sand first. then the live rock. this is what i have done with all my tanks. put in about a 3 in sand bed. some people are even going bare bottom. after the sand has settled put in about 55 lbs of rock for a reef tank. are u doing reef or FOWLR??

sjt1107

Either way is fine.
If you put the rocks in first, they are always going to be stable sitting on the bottom of the aquarium. You'll just have to clean the sand that accumulates on the rocks off with a powerhead or turkey baster after the water clears.
If you put the sand in first, there's always a chance of movement and all your rocks may fall...especially if you get an engineer goby!
I put my sand in first and then tried to place the rocks in a cloudy tank. Needless to say, I could not see where I was putting any of them and had to redo it once the water cleared.
Good Luck!

jeepboy

I bought some base rock and placed it on the tank bottom. Then I added a DSB which only left the top of the base rock exposed. I placed all my live rock on top of the base rock. This gave me a stable rock structure and I didn't waste money on live rock that would be covered in sand.

wakeskater

IMO I LIKE PUT PUT THE LS IN FIRST,BEACUSE IF YOU PUT THE LR IN FIRST WHEN YOU GO TO PUT THE LS IN PART OF THE GLASS BOTTOM MAY BE EXPOSED AREOUND THE ROCK, SECONDLY IF YOU GO TO PUT THE SAND IN AFTER THE ROCK THE SAND MAY FALL ONTOP OF THE ROCKS! BUT EITHER WAY IS FINE. SOME ONE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG BUT IF YOU ARE GOING TO SPREAD THE PERIOD OF TIME OUT IN WHICH YOU PUT THE TWO IN WOULDNT LS BE BETTER GOING IN FIRST BECAUSE THERE IS MORE BACTERIA IN THE SAND THEN IN THE ROCK? JUST A THOUGH.

craprap

I read somewhere that you should do the live rock first. The method was described as you should down cut 3" or 4" pvc to the same length as the desired sand bed depth. Place the pvc in the tank, then put the live rock on top of it. This allows the rock to have something structually sound supporting it, and when you put the sand in, it still allows all the creatures to burrow under the rock. Plus you are not "wasting" any of the live rock under the sand bed. I also though you put the live sand in the tank after it has cycled???? I could be wrong on that though.

sjt1107

No, don't put the live rock in after your tank has cycled, it could re-cycle. It's best to put them in at the same time or maybe a day a part.

vwbortoni

:)
Ok ...
I first put the rock and then I put the sand. It came out great! I used a cheap dixie plastic cup, filled it 3/4 of the way with sand and then filled the rest with tank water. The water bubbled down into the cup wetting the sand. Then I could "pour" the sand where I wanted it WITHOUT getting a huge cloud.
Looks great. I recommend this technique.
:happy:

mburnickas

I put in 200 lbs of sand in my 75 then only 45 lbs of fiji LR.
The water was like a brown mess till I put on the skimmer. 10 hours later, clear as new.
Also I only have 55 gallons of water with the DSB. the DSB is working great. Always see N3 bubbles releasing.