What happened to Cartoons and TNBC on SATURDAY am's?

miaheatlvr

I remember cartoons and harmless TNBC drama fun for the whole family!
Just Deal
City Guys
Saved by the bell
One World
California Dreams
Now just Infomercials, News, BAD CARTOONS and Crapola!
This generation got seriously GIPPED!

scotts

Ahhh you do not have kids. In my time we only had cartoons on Saturday morning (Bugs Bunny RULED!) so we would get up early to watch the cartoons. Now kids have shows on at all times, including a full network devoted entirely to cartoons. So Saturday morning is now devtoed to sleeping in.

rldavisou

Originally Posted by Scotts
http:///forum/post/2906794
Ahhh you do not have kids. In my time we only had cartoons on Saturday morning (Bugs Bunny RULED!) so we would get up early to watch the cartoons. Now kids have shows on at all times, including a full network devoted entirely to cartoons. So Saturday morning is now devtoed to sleeping in.
Yup, that's what happened. It's a sad, sad world we live in.

camfish

Yeah, but your generation's cartoons were awesome! Now we get this japanimation crap
Bugs Bunny rocks.

jackri

Funny... we were just talking about this at work today as we have 4 video feeds that come in and push them out on a screen (no sound). 2 were news, one was some really really bad looking cartoon and one was raven.
WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SMURFS AND BUGS/?!?!?!?!

rldavisou

Yeah, I agree that the new cartoons are no good. If it's not anime, it's Spongebob. The quality is horrible.
Next time you're in a room with spongebob, close your eyes and just listen to it. The auditory overload is incredible. Just the pace of the soundtrack is enough to make ME want to bounce off the walls, it's no wonder that parents complain about kids' hyperactivity.
Do the "close your eyes" test to spongebob, and then change the channel to PBS and do the same on one of their kids' shows. The difference will astound you. Even when you discount the educational value of PBS's programming, the pace is much slower, it's calmer, there's hardly any screaming (which seems to happen in every spongebob episode). Why would anyone want their kid to watch the crap on Nickelodeon?
I know I've singled out Spongebob, but my sister (5 yrs old) is addicted to it, so I get to see it most often.

ice4ice

Amen to that brother ! We were the shait when we were young when it comes to Saturday morning cartoons. Who could forget Shazam, Run Joe, Run, The Banana Splits, The Hudson Brothers Show, Space Ghost, Thundaar, Flash Gordon (cartoon version) The Mighty Isis and Scooby Doo, Where are you? . The reason the networks stopped showing The Bugs Bunny & Roadrunner show was simply they said it was "too violent" for TV.
Go figure when you now have Pokemon Yugimo or whatever it is.
Although I do enjoy watching Total Drama Island on the Cartoon network. Way better than Survivor. LOL!!
I WANT MY BUGS BUNNY & ROADRUNNER SHOW BACK !!!!!!

camfish

I CAN'T STAND "That's so Raven," you watch it for 2 minutes and you get an earfull of that loudy whiny screaming.

jackri

Forgot all about scooby... but then need flintsones and jetsons, even the ninja turtles back

rldavisou

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the toys and tv shows from when my generation was young (born in '84) are coming back?
I saw My Little Pony the other day, and my cousin got a Mighty Max set for xmas. The toy companies are selling the stuff they sold when we were kids so now we'll reminisce and buy it for our own kids.

reefraff

I can't friggin believe they censor Tom and Jerry cartoons. Those were cool. Pink Panther too. I gave the wife a DVD set of Loony toons for Christmas last year. You'd think I'd giver her diamonds.

gliderjohn

In my day, and I'm really showing my age here, besides Bugs Bunny, we had
Sky King, Roy Rogers, and Johnny Quest.
And the commercials in those days were for things like Tonka Toys, Erector sets and G.I. Joe. And for the girls, it was Barbie and Mystery Date.

renogaw

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/2907306
I can't friggin believe they censor Tom and Jerry cartoons. Those were cool. Pink Panther too. I gave the wife a DVD set of Loony toons for Christmas last year. You'd think I'd giver her diamonds.
WHAT???? the whole point of T&J was to watch the way they would try to outdoo each other!!

aquaknight

Agreed with all above. I hate to be stereotyping like this, but almost every cartoon (at least those who started recently) is horrible. Everything is so over the top, so hyper. No wonder so many friggin kids have attention problems/can't sit still for more then 30 seconds.