What happened to my Anenome

joesox

I have a 75g reef tank that has been set up for about 15 months now. One of the first inverts that I put in the tank was a green carpet amenome. It always appeared to be very healthy, and grew from about 4-5" diameter when I placed it in the tank, to about 12" diameter in about nine months. One night just before the lights went out I was looking at the tank when I noticed that the anenome was spewing thousands of little round black eggs from its oral disk. I though this was really cool, and a sign that it was very healthy. Unfortunatly after this night I was never able to get it to eat again. Its stomach would be extruded from its oral disk most of the time, and it slowly shrunk in size over the next few months. It died a week or so ago after spending its last week wandering around the tank.
My water conditions have not had any drastic changes in this time, and I was wondering if something happened because of the spawn. It just seemed like more than a coincidence to me. Anyone ever heard of anything like this before?

jonthefb

were you feeding the anemone at all? are you sure they were eggs, and not stringy brown wast? one final question, what kind of lighting did you have him uner adn what size tnak?
sorry about your loss, i hope we can help you figure out what happened!
good luck
jon

joesox

I fed him small chunks of shrimp about once a week. I am sure that it was not waste, because I was used to cleaning the waste off of it with a baster, and they were perfectlly round little black "eggs" that were spewing from her like old faithful. I have 440 watts of VHO lighting on a 75 gallon tank.