What happened?

monsinour

So, i have had my first fish on fish attack, I think. I was looking at the fishies the other day and noticed a mark on my orchid near the start of the dorsal fin. It looks like something tried to take a bite out of him. What is really wierd is that I havent seen anyone really picking on anyone else. It seems to be healing as i checked on him today and it looks better.
What I am wondering is, who dunnit?
tank mates are:
Ocelerais Clowns x2
PJ Cardinals x2
McCrsoskers wrasse
One Spot Blenny
Coral Beauty
Purple Fire Fish
Royal Gramma
I am thinking it was the coral beauty as it is the only newest addition that wasnt with the orchid for a long time.

gemmy

My guess would be royal gramma but that is speculation. I think I read somewhere that dottybacks and royal grammas can become aggressive. I may be mistaken.

gemmy

I believe some wrasses can be aggressive to dottybacks as well. I believe it has a little to do with similar body shapes.

monsinour

the gramma seems to be afraid of his shadow and doesnt hang around when the beauty or orchid are around. during feeding tonight, the most aggressive fish towards the food were the clowns, followed by the bigger PJ, then the beauty, then the orchid/gramma/wrasse, and the pff was the most benign. obviously the blenny wanted nothing to do with the mysis.

2quills

My money would be on one of the ocellaris clowns. Mine is pretty territorial, especially when it comes to my LMB for some reason.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/386668/what-happened#post_3397653
My money would be on one of the ocellaris clowns. Mine is pretty territorial, especially when it comes to my LMB for some reason.
the clowns do bite at my hands when they enter the tank. But I havent seen the clowns go after any other fish. I have seen the clowns get chased though.

aquaknight

More then a few potential suspects on the list, without seeing who done it, can't really guess and blame one. You'll start to think it was ___ fish, then you over-analysis every move it makes, meanwhile, it was a completely different fish.
However, with a stocklist that is perhaps edging toward being classified as semi-aggressive, bites/fights are bound to happen. These fish live much more frantic lives then I think most realize. As long as the wound(s) are not mortal, just some slight damage to the scales, etc,

monsinour

It wasnt that bad and it has healed up nicely. Its not 100% healed, but it is getting there. I made sure that the orchid got some garlic soaked pellets and a good deal of the mysis this evening.
BTW, is it unusual for an orchid to burrow into the sand? Mine has made a home under some rocks and has been taking sand from the bed and removing to another part of the tank. He burrowed deep enough that I can see the egg crate that I placed my base rocks on.

aquaknight

Burrowing is common for Dottybacks, why their bodies are sorta compressed vertically. Fun fact for this thread, did you know the Green Wolf Eel, isn't an eel at all? It's actually a Dottyback.
But is he just fanning the sand out with his tail? Or is he taking mouthfuls of sand and spitting it out, like a goby would??

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKnight http:///forum/thread/386668/what-happened#post_3397686
Burrowing is common for Dottybacks, why their bodies are sorta compressed vertically. Fun fact for this thread, did you know the Green Wolf Eel, isn't an eel at all? It's actually a Dottyback.
But is he just fanning the sand out with his tail? Or is he taking mouthfuls of sand and spitting it out, like a goby would??
I have seen him move the sand with mouthfulls. It lands on my ricordea as well as some other rock about a foot away. He is goby like in that regards. Whats odd is that he sleeps inside a cave in a rock that isnt over the burrow. Its like he made a home just for the sake of making a home. Is my orchid wierd?