what happened?

mauler

No I don't believe it was from another tang considering my hippo tang ended up looking the same way I'm thinking it was from a parasite called uronema marinum I hope it's not can anyone tell me what it might be?

mauler

I had the achilles a hippo tang, yellow tang, red tail trigger and some chromis. The achilles was also the "boss" of the tank so I seriously doubt there was a fight

mauler

2-3 months the only I had was ich when I first got him but after that he was perfect

he looks very banged up the only thing I can think off is a fight to the death, and don't think its uronema marinum the skin dose not look like it has been eatin away .. most likely a fight to the death with the hippo tang and the Achilles fought back but lost. my hippo tang almost killed my purple tang when I first bought the purple but luckly he was big that defended him self it tock month before the hippo tang can realize that the purple tang cannot be beaten. they still get into little fights know and then when feed

mauler

It wasn't a fight I can promise that. The picturesdon't really show it but there is some blood in those wounds they are pretty deep

mauler

Plus his fins are being eaten away at like fin rot and his skin would rub off like if I touched him I would end up with black on my finger.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What other fish did you have in the tank? Its aggression. I suggest you find the aggressor before other fish end up in the same state.

mauler

I had the achilles, hippo tang, yellow tang, and ared tail trigger and I seriously doubt a 2" yellow tang yellow tang killed both other tangs without getting a scratch on him and the wounds look way to big to have come from one another so I'm 100% sure it was not aggression

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, you should believe it. Size of fish has little to do with aggression. Larger fish can be bullied to death by a smaller specimen and simply take beatings without fighting back. It is called dominance. One fish exerting territorial dominance over another.

What happened to the yellow tang?

mauler

Him and the red tail are perfectly fine. I know about dominance and the achilles was the dominant fish in the tank and like I've said already it's not aggression. I just don't see the biggest and most dominant fish in tank being killed without fighting back and the yellow tang and red tail trigger don't have a scratch on them.

if its not aggression wouldn't the parasite affect the other fish ? how are the other fish are they shown any signs of degression skin or fins ? how long have you had this tang ? if he had ick before maybe from over stress ??:confused:

mauler

I'm not positive it is a parasite it could be something else but I know it's not aggression.
He had ich the first week I had him and after that he was perfect so no I seriously doubt stress is what killed him

trigger40

i see what you are saying mauler. when did you find out they where dead? if it was agression you should havr seen them fight befor. but if it is a parasite. wouldent they have shown signs of it befor death?

Last edited: