What happens when you look through a red filter at your blue actinic-lit tank??

novahobbies

THIS:

No photoshop. Just old-fashioned camera filters. What's even worse..this coral is in sad shape. Can hardly imagine what it must look like when I get it healthy.
But for those who want to try: Buy a pair of red goggles (usually found as protective eyewear for lasers) and look at your tank at night with just the actinics on. You will be floored.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/395433/what-happens-when-you-look-through-a-red-filter-at-your-blue-actinic-lit-tank#post_3520535
THIS:

No photoshop. Just old-fashioned camera filters. What's even worse..this coral is in sad shape. Can hardly imagine what it must look like when I get it healthy.
But for those who want to try: Buy a pair of red goggles (usually found as protective eyewear for lasers) and look at your tank at night with just the actinics on. You will be floored.
Cool!!
I will have to try this.

novahobbies

Most of the corals have a certain fluorescence under these conditions. But the ones that are the most obvious are the red or orange corals. The Ricordeas looked great too. But even the green corals show up under this filter. You should definitely try it. Look for some red filter goggles on Amazon if you just want to observe the color yourself, or a red filter for your camera. It's very hard to get these shots with my usual setup....they're a little fuzzy.