What have you propogated??

clayton

Has anybody tried propogating anemones? I have heard of someone farming them in a man-made lagoon - he cuts them in half and throws them back - but don't know if this could work in an aquarium, it could get messy.
I am propogating a number of my soft corals as well as growing pocillopora cuttings, but am interested in which species people have had success with and which have failed.

N

niteshift

I don't know what it is called but I have this stuff going crazy in my tank. It is green and looks like hair. Pretty impressive huh?????
hahahahahahaha
just kidding we have just started so we haven't propagated anything but, button polyps and mushrooms yet.
Chelle

thebatcave

Are there any farms raising starfish? This seems like it would be pretty easy. The only thing you would have to do is cut it carefully. I bought my starfish for $70. I shouldn't have paid that much but I had to have it. Clayton maybe you could try that in your business.

clayton

Not a bad idea! I will look into that one - thanks.
Originally posted by thebatcave:
Are there any farms raising starfish? This seems like it would be pretty easy. The only thing you would have to do is cut it carefully. I bought my starfish for $70. I shouldn't have paid that much but I had to have it. Clayton maybe you could try that in your business.

angel eyes

Clayton, the laboratory involved is called the Riddle Aquatic Laboratories. The lab is interested in any hobbiest questions,observations, and comment. They can be reached at
102622.524@CompuServe.com
OH, I almost forgot the coral in the issue was the Pocillopora damicornis common name
Cauliflower coral (found in the Red Sea and throughout the Indo-Pacific Ocean.)

clayton

Thanks Angel, I will check it out.
I always thought Cauliflower coral was Cladiella spp. (a soft coral), but even scientific names are swapped around.

debakker

Clayton, re your enq about propogating anemones, there is a research station here in Oz. on the great barrier reef Queensland that is breeding anemones and according to the program on the news they expected to start selling them to the aquarium trade in 12 months. If your interested you should be able to cantact them through the Queensland Government as they are a government body and get there funding from them. Good luck with you venture, Dirk