What hermits do u like?

sandman12

I have some algea on the bottom that needs to be eaten. Should i get scarlets or will blue legs be ok?

dad

Just my opinion here;
But where is your algae? on the sand?
What type is it? You may want to find out what is causing it as well as a cleanup crew.
There are alot of diferent hermits besides the ones above to concider not to mention snails?
You may want to give more info such as tank size and what you have in it so far for a real good answer for what you need.
If you are asking just between blues and reds? I like blues better. Reds can be killers in my opinion.

sandman12

Iam just asking for an opinoin. It is algea left over from the cycle bloom. Never bought hermits, nows its time. u say the scarlets seem to be killers? i have heard the exact oposite. blues r killers.

The blues have given me a lto of bad luck already...for instance i boght 50 blues from this site along with several snails and scarlets...the blues killed EVERYTHING but one snail...thank the lord got them out...anyhow i would go with the scarletts...HTH

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Hermits are carnivores as are crabs mostly. When dealing with algae, you usually need to ID the algae to determine what to do about it. Perhaps if the problem is limited to your sand, then some sand detritores is in order. NO HERMINS or crabs. Try a fighting conch and some nassarius snails. Hermits kill snails for food and for shell stealing.

lionfish12

my turbo snail cleans off my gravle and it looks better in the areas he has been. Im getting 2 more to speed up the process.

nm reef

I prefer the red legs myself...but I also keep several blues too. But for algaes on the sand I'd consider assorted snails...cerith/nassarius...maybe a fighting conch...even turbos will help.

zap800

well i have 15 blues and they are killers. but it is kind of need to watch them fight it out sometimes. but i am a little morbid lol

sandman12

ok, will any conch be good for the sand bed? Hawking conch, and conchs a catch local? THe ones that i catch go under ground and on the glass but dont eat the algea. I haev about 3.

clarkiiboi

IMO, go with fighting conch, nassarius, and cerith for your sandbed. Red legs are different crabs than scarlets. And Beth has a point to consider, is your sand full of life?

ekclark

get one or two mexican turbos. I have one that has lived for over a year in my system (did not die from things being too hot, despite what everyone says) and it is a workaholic. I even feed it some nori so it doesn't starve. Best snail I've ever had:cheer: