What I have, can I add anymore

phoenix316

I have had a FO tank set up for a while now, about 3 months.
It is a 29 Gallon Tank.
I started the tank out with two damsils and a clown for cycleing.
One week after it was done cycling some hermits crabs and a purple lobster.
About a week and a half after that i added a firefish, which was quickly eaten by my purple lobster.
I returned the purple lobster that day and bought more hermit crabs.
The next week i bought a six line wrasse.
The next week i bought a cleaner shrimp and some more hermits.
The next week i bought another firefish and some snails.
My tank has been going very good with all levels looking great up to this point.
So far i have:
1 Tank Raised Perc Clown
1 Four Stripe Damsel
1 Yellow Tail Damsel
1 Six Line Wrasse
1 Fire Goby
1 Cleaner Shrimp
5 Turbo Snails
A butt load of Blue Leg Hermits
I would like to add:
1 Coral Branded Shrimp
1 Flame Angel
This would be all that i would add to the tank.
Does anyone have anysuggestions or the such.
Is this a good tank, or does anything seem to conflict.
Would the Flame Angel overload the tank.
Thanks for the help.

I think you`ve already put enough in there without overdoing it. I would atleast wait until the 6 month mark before getting a dwarf angel.

fshhub

IMO, you would definitely be pushing it now, as these fish grow, I am thinking the tank is probably a bit too small for what you have already.

wrassecal

IMHO you have probably one more fish right now than you have room for when they are grown. Do you have live sand or live rock in the tank? A sixline wrasse and a coral beauty need plenty of stuff to eat off the rocks - wrasse needs critters and angel needs algae to graze on. Also, your damsels could get very territorial and aggresive in a tank with that many fish.....HTH

phoenix316

I forgot to add that i got a red general star about two weeks ago.
This comes as a surprise to me, as my LFS said that everything i have and would put in it would be ok.
None of my fish have grown any in the two or three months that i have had the tank, how fast do any of these fish grow.
Does anyone else have an opinion on it?
Anything would be appreciated as i am kind of anxious now, as two people have said it would be too much.

michelle13

In my opinion it would be too much. I have a 29 gal with a firefish, blenny, and soon to be two perculas or ocellaris clowns. That's all I'm going to put in mine because I think any more than that would cause problems.

phoenix316

bump
I just talked to my lfs again and he said that it was ok, does anyone else here have any rules or anything that may be helpful.
Also how often do you need to do a water change.

broomer5

phoenix316
I agree with others and would not add the flame angel.
It's pretty simple.
The more fish you keep - the more problems can arise.
Conflicts, stress, disease, water quality issues, feeding, waste export .... all can result from overcrowding a small tank.
The fewer fish - normally a lower probability of having problems.
Lower bioload, fewer conflicts, less food and the water quality is so much easier maintain.
A tank full of fish is cool to look at .. buy much harder to maintain.
A tank with fewer fish is easier to take care of .. and I would imagine the fish will be healthier and more at ease.
It's up to you ....... but I've found that limiting the number of fish just makes for a lot less troubles.
Less troubles means I can enjoy the hobby more.
Sometimes it's best to return some of the common fish like damsels .... and just keep a good number of your favorites.
Someday I'd love to have a big tank with a lot more fish than I have now ... but until then I can still enjoy them in other folks tanks.

wrassecal

Some use the general rule of 1 inch of fish for every five gallons water. Granted the fish you currently have will not get very big, but if full grown they average 1 1/2 inches you will have 1 inch of fish for just under 4 gallons with what you have now. It is also harder to keep stable water quality in a smaller tank such as a 29 so a heavy bioload will make it more difficult for you. what are you using for filtration? You definately need a good protein skimmer if you don't alread have one.HTH

fshhub

Originally posted by Wrassecal
Some use the general rule of 1 inch of fish for every five gallons water. Granted the fish you currently have will not get very big, but if full grown they average 1 1/2 inches you will have 1 inch of fish for just under 4 gallons with what you have now. It is also harder to keep stable water quality in a smaller tank such as a 29 so a heavy bioload will make it more difficult for you. what are you using for filtration? You definately need a good protein skimmer if you don't alread have one.HTH

math is a little off
percula 3 inches
four stripe 4 inches
yello tail 3 inches
sixline 3 inches
ff goby 3 inhes
all in a 29 gallon
and a flame would add another 4 inches.
the inverts really do not matter much, but I would add more snails and crabs.

T

toungetwster

I would give up the damsils then you would be ok to add the new fish...if not...you're looking for some trouble down the road...as stated...too many fish in a small tank is like waiting for the time bomb to explode...might not be next week...but sooner or later...a power failure...pump going out...or just bio overload...will be the start of a complete tank crash...the inverts don't really add a lot to your bio load...but the fish do..so be considerate of your fish...don't overstock... Also...I would invest in a skimmer...for sure...

acez28

ha! I have all this in a 29gal:
Porcupine Puffer
Flame Angel
2 Damsels
2 Pink Skunk Clowns
Sailfin Tang
But only because of a ick outbreak in my main tank. I say get rid of the damsels also. Then you should be fine with a FA.

wrassecal

Originally posted by fshhub
math is a little off
percula 3 inches
four stripe 4 inches
yello tail 3 inches
sixline 3 inches
ff goby 3 inhes
all in a 29 gallon
and a flame would add another 4 inches.

Excuse number 1. I was trying to be kind and still make my point.
Excuse number 2. I was taught math by a male:;)

fshhub

Excuse number 1. I was trying to be kind and still make my point.

OUCH, that 2d excuse hurt!
my excuse was not to contradict your statement, but to expand, definitely(we both agree) OVERSTOCKED.

E

elan

:eek:
too funny:D
i also agree with everyone else... your tank is very young to boot.
you should also plan on counting your gallons per fish inches using the adult size of the fish.

rayraypico

It's up to you ....... but I've found that limiting the number of fish just makes for a lot less troubles.

Less troubles means I can enjoy the hobby more.
i like this advice personally i don't need or want any more problems than the usual ones you have to deal with