what if

frankski

i have a 110 gal. with 4x65 watt pc's under a coralife hood. lfs says im at about half power for starter corals. can i add another hood like the one i got, making it 520 watts total. been looking at a new setup but reluctant to spend the cash before i have actually tried corals. but these hoods are rather cheap,say $200 vs. $600 up for t-5 /mh.

hot883

Originally Posted by frankski
i have a 110 gal. with 4x65 watt pc's under a coralife hood. lfs says im at about half power for starter corals. can i add another hood like the one i got, making it 520 watts total. been looking at a new setup but reluctant to spend the cash before i have actually tried corals. but these hoods are rather cheap,say $200 vs. $600 up for t-5 /mh.
Is it a hood or a fixture? I'm thinking a fixture. Anyway, I have 2- 48" fixtures on my 125 for a total of 520w of PC's. I keep:
mushrooms
ricordeas
gorgonians
green star polyps
xenia
open brain
kenya tree up high
zoanthids.
Hope that helps. Barry

frankski

i dont know the difference between fixture and hood. can you explain? mine sits on top of aquarium and is ready to go out of the box with 2 cords and switches. i dont have a hand crafted wood canopy top.

laddy

A hood would complete a complete structure resting on top of the tank which would house your lighting components. A fixture would be something hung, or sometimes supported on top of the tank (i.e. Coralife, Orbits). Hope this helps.

hot883

You have a fixture Not a hood. A fixture is a couple inches wide and spans the length of the tank. A hood (or canopy) sits on top covering as stated above.

frankski

so what do you think about 2 fixtures to get the wattage i need. i know its not the ideal setup, but it seems to work for others. ive searched many posts and i know everyone wants to go big or go home, but for the beginner am i asking for trouble with the pc's.
im thinking that the corals that need good lighting i will place high in the tank and those that need less can fill out the bottom.

frankski

how long have you had these corals? what do you suggest getting first for the newbie? i know some have special feeding needs, do all of them?