What in the World is This?

seamandrew

Well to be honest, brown jelly affects large-polyped corals such as Galaxea, Euphyllia, Catalaphyllia, and Xenia and the like. It's not as common with the Leather coral. Can you take a picture of it? If it were brown jelly, it can grow fast and kill your coral. It's a protozoan infection. Let's see if a picture will help ID before we recommend instructions on how to treat.

My computer picture settings are messed up, will you please post a picture of wat a protozoan infestion looks like and I will say if it resenbles my leather tree's problem.

seamandrew

To treat an afflicted specimen, as much of the digested tissue (jelly) should be siphoned or brushed off the unhealthy coral as possible. Ideally, this should occur outside of the main tank. The mix of dead tissue and microorganisms shold be considered a contagious agent, as the jelly can initiate infections in nearby corals. Once cleansed of the excess slough, the coral can be given a freshwater dip for several minutes to kill many of the microorganims present (not sure if leather corals can tolerate a freshwater dip, can someone else help with this?). An antibiotic paste on the infected areas or a Lugol's dip may also be advised as alternative or additional treatments. It is best to use the least stressful methods first and see if the result is satisfactory. Excessive treatment or stress may cause a coral to become susceptible to other infection, or may result in bleaching or the loss of the entire coral. If it appears that none of the above methods are halting the progress of the infection, the coral should be cut, snipped, or cleaved slightly ahead of the progressing jelly and the healthy piece or pieces places in a quarantine tank. In some cases, the coral will be able to heal in such an environment. I hope this helps.

seamandrew

Same as a fish, you get a batch of fresh water (preferably RO water or distilled), ensure it's the same temperature as the tank and the same pH. If you're using Tap, make sure there's no copper and no chlorine. Then Bob's your uncle. Did I use that right? I checked my coral care book (Aquarium Corals) and it says Alcyonarians may be subjected to a brief 1-3 minute freshwater dip, usually without consequence. If your leather coral belongs to this genus, you're set. It says this procedure is useful in eliminating certain parasites such as flatworms, brown jelly infections, and cyanobacterial overgrowth.