what inverts do the best damage to hair algea??

balashark21

i have a 100$ gift certificat to lfs and had a recent hair algea crop. was wondering what inverts or small fish would do the most damage to it?? i know lettuce nudi but availability wise the lfs dosnt carry them often

nas19320

Lawnmower blenny if you have room for another fish, but they will only eat a certain length hair algae. But once all the hair algae is gone you may need to get rid of it if it begins to starve.

balashark21

i highly dout ihave room for a lmb. i have 2 ocellaris. 1 green clown goby in a 30 gallon tank. maby if i moved my clown goby into my nano... that might make room for it. the algea sprung up overnight. one day i had none then it was completly covering my rocks and some in my dsb!! it is on my snail shells and everything!!!!!

nas19320

I agree then don't get a LMB. I think waterfaller is so willing to give up her snails because though IMO they do a great job, anthing that isn't glued/tied down they will topple over. This includes small rocks and frags. Do you have any ideas as to what caused the outbreak of algae?

balashark21

well i have never used rodi water, but that has never been a problem. i only started useing my new vho's like 2 or 3 weeks ago and only actinics. i havent wired the 10,000k mh up yet so only been actinics on. hmmm like i said i cant afford a ro/di unit.

I have had the same prob. I was at first just runnin some NO lights. All was good. Then moved to VHO, got some algea. Put in 2 250 watt MH, and Holy cow did that stuff start to grow. I used tap water, and was like you, hunting for a crew to clean it up. But i have surrended to buying a RO/DI unit, and now it is starting to recead. Man, get ya a RO/DI unit. It will be a problem once you kick off that MH. I got mine around the bay that begans with "e". Or airwaterandice dot com i think, has some good deals. Have to check on that second one for ya.