what is a good mh light spectrum

smickied

can anybody show me (in general) what a MH 6500k, 10k and so on would look like? I see peoples tanks with MH's on the site, i'm just not clear on what spectrum is what. I'd like to up grade lighting but bulbs are so expencive i'd hate to be dissapointed.
can anybody could show me some pics with the lighting describition?
thanks

nm reef

2x400 Ushio 10K's & 2x110 URI super actinics over a 100 gal display.
I don't have a full display shot but this photo is a decent representation of what my eye sees in regard to the lighting coloration. Combined they produce a clear...bright...noon like appearence. The Ushios alone tend to be a bit on the yellowish side...and the URI actinic VHO's are a deep blue by themselves. Together its like high noon under a tropical sun.

golfish

Originally posted by mary
NM Reef, Is Ushio a brand or what type of lighting? Love the color of your system.

Ushio is a brand name. IMO, the best 10K bulbs made...sorry, didn't mean to answer for NMreef

mary

Wish I had known that; just got all new lamps in the last two months. Next time. Thanks very much!

smickied

i'm thinking about a 250w 10k and to vho 75w actinics. will that be to much for a 28? how high would it have to be?

nm reef

My friend golfish is right...Ushio is the manufacturer of the bulbs. Mine are run on a dual 400 watt PFO ballast.

mary

My bulbs are costing me 75.00, actinics, 90 watt. I will check tomorrow and see the brand. Will I be paying a lot more for the Ushio? I have 5 of them. That was the price on the lamp containers, but the LFS gave me a better price. I won't always get a better price.

robchuck

Originally posted by smickied
i'm thinking about a 250w 10k and to vho 75w actinics. will that be to much for a 28? how high would it have to be?

I don't think that would be too much, but you would have to be very careful in acclimating corals to keep them from getting burned.
As a matter of fact, I'm about to set up a 29 gallon reef with a 250W MH on it, and while researching, found many 29 gallon systems running 250W, and a few even running 400W.

mary

Well, the lights that I have recently put in over a four week period are SUNPAC dual actinics, 96w.. six of them. Mail order has proven to be unsatisfactory in that something always has to be sent back for breakage so I depend on our LFS to sell me a quality product. I read recentlt that these{does this mean all}actinic lamps are expected to only last 7-8 months?

smickied

I plan on ordering from an E-bay store retro fit 250w 10k 2 75 VHO w/actinics seprate power cords remote balast 23 by 9 by 3 inch reflector for $250 i think its a good deal (for my pockets).
:D

mary

Smickied, Don't you have breakage problems when ordering through the mail? I stopped at some point because of always having to send back half an order.

smickied

I've been lucky to this point (knock on wood). I havn't had any shipping problems with any of my on line orders. I still support my LFS on some items...I live in the northeaster most part of NY on the "otherside" of the mountains. Finding quility items at anykind reasonable price is far and few between. I basicly have to depend on online purchaces for any variety. Don't get me wrong there are some good fish stores within driving distance 1 1/2 hours away in VT that i frequent when I their but that still cost in gas.
To sum it up, I take my chances with online orders. I'll risk the headache of getting my order right if its going to save me a couple hundred. :yes:
besides I'm a gambeling man!!