What is a good power head to get?

navarcus

I am wondering, do they make powerheads that rotate back and forth? They don't carry any that I have seen locally here. I was going to get on the big auction site to see if they make any that move. Please excuse my ignorance but are these called wavemakers? I have a 75gal tank with 2 powerheads in it now that just blow in one direction. Any suggestions?

uberlink

If you already have powerheads, then just buy a couple of Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector. I know of one website where they're under $10 each. Just search for "Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector" on the web. They're great!
I think a wavemaker usually refers to a gadget that switches power to your powerheads on and off to create a back and forth motion in your tank. This basically does the same thing (though without reducing your overall water flow by alternating individual heads on and off) for a fraction of the price. Easy to install, too.

colorteck

Here is some info on them, This one was under $10
Flo Rotating Water Deflector
Flo Rotating Water Deflector
Create a beneficial wave effect for plants and invertebrates with the Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector. This inexpensive wavemaker easily attaches to most powerheads or water outlets. 360° rotation is powered by the water flow of your pump, filter or powerhead. Min-max waterflow required gph 80/310

gordie9

How durable are these? I've heard that the Powersweep conks out after a few months. Is the Hydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector a better alternative?

uberlink

It's as good as the powerhead you attach it to. The water flow powers it. They've got a little gear inside that keeps them slowly rotating instead of spinning out of control. Occasionally stuff can get into the gear, but you just clean it out and it will start rotating again. Even when stopped, the water will still flow through.

gordie9

Originally Posted by Navarcus
How are these powerheads? ZooMed Power Sweep. I'm thinking of getting these? Anyone have these?
I think the ZooMed power sweep is the one I was referring to. I've never had one, but I haven't heard great things about them, to be honest.
uberlink, thanks for the info. I'm trying to remedy a dead spot underneath the powerhead that is agitating the surface. hopefully this 360 degrees will stir up the surface as well as the water column

uberlink

They work great! One of the better ways to spend $10 in this hobby.
By the way, you can get them pretty cheaply at pet solutions dot com.

birdy

Don't get powersweeps, they do not last long in a saltwater aquarium, they stop roatating very quickly, last maybe a couple months in my experience.
I personally like the SEIO water pumps, they have a wide flow like the very expensive TUNZE water pumps. but they cost a lot less.

jafrench

My powersweep works great although the suction cups wear out quicker than others. I also like MaxiJets. I've read great, great things about the Tunze Streams, though have yet to own one. I've heard that the maxijets are the best for wavemakers.

navarcus

Well I just got a SEIO and a powersweep. I have to say I like the looks of the SEIO though. Not as bulky looking as the others. Thanks for the input!!!