What is a good protein skimmer?

giant_squid

I have had my 55 gallon setup for 3 weeks now,I don`t have a skimmer up yet. What does everyone use? I will probably end up getting a prizm, do I have any other options for under $100? Any info will be appreciated.

giant_squid

I have decided to go with the prizm, I plan on having a aggressive tank with a snowflake eel and a fuzzy dwarf lion. I hope this skimmer can do the job, because these guys are going to be real messy.

demosthenes

I have a SeaClone 100, and it hasn't pulled anything out of my tank for about a month! I'm about to go make one, compliments of DIY work. It's almost empty!

ckkihei

I too have a SeaClone (new model)in a 55 and it works quite well. One of the things to consider when buying a skimmer is future upgrades in tank size. Before I bought my skimmer I did a fair amount of research and weighed the pros and cons of each. IMO, SeaClone seemed to make the most sense to me......it works great, is fairly quiet and not much money. There are many other skimmers in the next price range up that would be a better choice if you have plans to go to a bigger tank at some point. Try to look through the archives and find a reponse by Anthem to a similiar question. He offered great insight about different models. :)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Prizm is a decent skimmer out of the cheaper models but a step up from this would be the Remora. The price for a Remora would be around $150, but you might be able to find some good deals by shopping the web or ---- a bit.

frankl15207

I agree with Beth. The prizm was a nuisance to maintain and adjust. Just removing the cup to empty it is pain. It requires constant adjustment. I have the Remora AquaC with the Maxijet upgrade and it has worked great since the one week break in period. It was worth the extra money.

nm reef

Personally I've been pleased with the performance of the CPR BacPac 2r...I used it on my 55 reef until I took the plunge and went skimmerless...now it is on my fish only system and still skimming away. Plus I've had a few outstanding experiences with CPR's customer service that supports the products they sell. :cool:

demosthenes

NM, what's is their website, if you don't mind my asking. I have heard good things about them, but didn't want to go make a foolish purchase. T4AH